Sign in with
Your question

PC Girl - First Build ^^

Last response: in Systems
June 29, 2010 11:38:21 AM

Hii ,So it was my birthday today, well.. Monday, woot! 13 ((=

I get to get a new pc an i was wondering if i could get some help with it, I've done so much reading, but there's so many many numbers~ and no one i know knows anything about pc's xD

This is what i got planning for them to get, and i don't want them to pay like so so much for it, but sence couple my friends I'm with are gonna be using it, one wants it to be used for computer animation i guess, n hes like all it needs to be realy good! lol so.. we'll see.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-Update2-

-Case-
(Already Owned)
COOLER MASTER HAF 922 RC-922M-KKN1-GP Black Steel

-Processor-
(Decided)
Intel Core i7-930 Bloomfield 2.8GHz

-Liquid Cooling or Fan-
(unDecided)
COOLER MASTER Hyper 212

-MoBo-
(Decided)
ASUS P6X58D

-Graphics-
(Decided)
XFX HD-577A-ZNFC Radeon HD 5770 (Juniper XT) (Choose for price,cooling style,warranty)

-RAM-
(unDecided)
CORSAIR XMS3 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600
Cas Latency8
Timing 8-8-8-24
Voltage 1.65V

-PSU-
(Decided)
COOLER MASTER Silent Pro 600 - 600W

-OS-
(Decided)
Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit

Total @ 994.95$ +$5.99 shipping
----------------------------------------------------------
We'll jus get w.e at frys for these guys~
-HDD-
SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 1TB (Suggested)
-DVD/CD Drive-
?????

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Good morning! and thanks for the reply's (*^-^*) , I'll answer the questions i see ^^

~Q & A~
-Update 1-

Q: Whats your budget?
A: Well they didn't really tell me, but i'd guess around 1300$ at least.

Q: Are you a heavy gamer?
A: No way, and neither are they, except for couple mmorpgs here and there. That might change though sense new pc OooOooOoooo...
I play ijji Gunz here n there LoL, n pretty good at it!

Q: What kinda animation does he do?
A: Well he showed me this, Autodesk® Maya® 2011, says it costs 4k. o.o wow, but he
got it from schooling. That looks pretty uber lolol i wanna try!
http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/pc/index?id=135778...

Q: Why COOLER MASTER HAF 922?
A: We already own it, from while ago for like 60$ lol.

Q: Why get Intel i7?
A: B/c from what I've read it has hyper threading, which is very useful
in Digital Multimedia Production

Q: Cross Fire ?
A: I'm not sure about this maybe in the future we'll add a card, but right now i don't think that's necessary.

Q: Will you overclock?
A: He might, idk much bout that. I think that's why he said i7-920 instead of i7-930, sense they'll end up same ghz anyway? i really dunno this.
Prolly just stick with 920 atm.

Q: What monitor do i use?
A: Samsung 23" Wide screen LCD Monitor -2ms,LED ~Desktop Resolution 1920x1080
http://www.frys.com/product/6134239?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN...

Q: Where are you buying your items?
A: Well, newegg and tiger are totally options, but also we have frys electronics here and the place is huge.
http://www.frys.com/

-Sorry couldn't be totally specific, he's not here atm D=

More about : girl build

June 29, 2010 11:49:09 AM

Could you give us an idea on buget? that way we know what level system you are looking at
m
l
June 29, 2010 12:21:27 PM

hmm maybe your budget is $1300 or below? well. if you want a i7 pc. for animation? maybe you need a professional graphics card for that! and what resolution are you going to have?

-Case-
coolmaster haff 922
-Processor-
i7 930
-Graphics-
ati 5850
-PSU/HDD-
antec ea650/seagate 7200.12 1tb
-OS-
Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
-RAM-
gskill 6gb PI cl7
-MoBo-
gigabyte x58a-ud3r
-DVD/CD Drive-
cheap dvd sata drive dvd
-Liquid Cooling or Fan-
cm hyper 212

total:$$1,265.91( without OS. add $100)
here a profesional graphics card for animation. and if you have a low budget. go with a amd thuban build.
m
l
Related resources
June 29, 2010 12:31:37 PM

I don't know what kind of computer animation he does, but that is complete overkill.

Is this PC going to be used for heavy gaming? If yes, then a 5850 or even 5770 is justified. If not, get a lower end card that can do HD video decoding and such things with ease. An ATI 5550 for example. You could even get a passively cooled one for complete silence.

Why get an i7-930? In just about every case, the i5-750 or the Phenom II 965 are just as good and quite a bit cheaper. They're everything you'll need, even for video animation (unless it's extreme professional stuff, than the i7 can be useful).
If you choose to get an i5-750, you'll need a P55 motherboard, for a Phenom II 965 an 880/785/870/770 chipset.

Do you really need a CM Hyper 212? I see no mention of overclocking the PC, so the stock cooler should do nicely.

Do you need a CM HAF 922 when not overclocking and not having uber graphics cards? No. I'd recommend a quieter and smaller case.

As for the workstation card: that'd be nice if you're into really heavy video animation, but for regular stuff it's over the top. You might want to check with that friend and ask which programs he uses. Without that info, we really can't tell you what graphics card and CPU would suit you best.
m
l
June 29, 2010 12:44:05 PM

your quite right. a i5 750+5770 would suffice + a asus P7P55D-E pro board. the hyper 212 is just for... maybe he will overclock in the future. so she will not buy it. but she can also not buy that. if thats the case. and the haff? i just followed what if put. if a smaller case is needed. maybe a antec 300. but if she has the money. the build i put up is the best bang for the buck.
m
l
June 29, 2010 12:53:05 PM

xurwin said:
your quite right. a i5 750+5770 would suffice + a asus P7P55D-E pro board. the hyper 212 is just for... maybe he will overclock in the future. so she will not buy it. but she can also not buy that. if thats the case. and the haff? i just followed what if put. if a smaller case is needed. maybe a antec 300. but if she has the money. the build i put up is the best bang for the buck.

"She has money". That is an argument I hear so often. But it's a stupid one unfortunately. Just because you have enough money doesn't mean you should waste it buying computing power you don't need. If you can save money while not reducing performance at all, isn't that a win-win? Invest money where it yields you something useful, not spend it just for the sake of spending it...

Why on earth a P7P55D-E Pro? Pro boards are only useful if you're going to crossfire. And she doesn't mention she wants to have multiple graphics cards anywhere in her post. With a single graphics card, the regular P7P55D-E will be all she needs.

Indeed, the Hyper 212 could be useful. Unless she tells us if she or that friend of hers want to overclock, we can't advice her on getting it or not.

The HAF is a great case. But it's big, noisy and somewhat expensive. So why not get something that's smaller, more silent and cheaper if you can?

Would she need a 5770? We don't know if she or her friends are gamers. If so, then get it and maybe even the 5850. If not, a 5550 or something even cheaper will do.

Your build isn't the best bang for the buck. The best bang for the buck is the PC that suits your needs perfectly, and from what she has told us, your suggestion (and hers) are way above that.
m
l
June 29, 2010 2:09:07 PM

Good morning! and thanks for the reply's (*^-^*) , I'll answer the questions i see ^^

-Update 1- Has been posted.
m
l
June 29, 2010 3:07:18 PM

Silmarunya said:
"She has money". That is an argument I hear so often. But it's a stupid one unfortunately. Just because you have enough money doesn't mean you should waste it buying computing power you don't need. If you can save money while not reducing performance at all, isn't that a win-win? Invest money where it yields you something useful, not spend it just for the sake of spending it...

Why on earth a P7P55D-E Pro? Pro boards are only useful if you're going to crossfire. And she doesn't mention she wants to have multiple graphics cards anywhere in her post. With a single graphics card, the regular P7P55D-E will be all she needs.

Indeed, the Hyper 212 could be useful. Unless she tells us if she or that friend of hers want to overclock, we can't advice her on getting it or not.

The HAF is a great case. But it's big, noisy and somewhat expensive. So why not get something that's smaller, more silent and cheaper if you can?

Would she need a 5770? We don't know if she or her friends are gamers. If so, then get it and maybe even the 5850. If not, a 5550 or something even cheaper will do.

Your build isn't the best bang for the buck. The best bang for the buck is the PC that suits your needs perfectly, and from what she has told us, your suggestion (and hers) are way above that.

according to her UPADATE 1. she will be really be needing the i7 930. for its use of hyperthreading. and the haff 922 issue is solved. she already has it. i will now disregard the agruement about the P7P55D-e pro because she will be going with the i7. so with what she said. she is not a hardcore gamer. but with her money and monitor. she will and SHOULD go with the 5850.
but maybe in the future she will play big games. Cyrsis 2?? soo. for me 5850 ftw. and hyper212? i agree with you. i t dpends on her.

and for the i7. get the i7 930 at frys. its much cheaper.. and i suggest go with the giga x58a-ud3r board.
m
l
June 29, 2010 4:33:38 PM

In this case, i7-930 and Gigabyte X58A-UD3R is quite handy. Maya tends to be very CPU intensive (btw, I wouldn't buy a 920. The 930 is simply an update to the 920. It'd be like buying Windows Vista today).

4GB of RAM is recommended for 32bit files, 8GB for 64bit files. I'd get 8 to be sure.

As for a graphics card, a workstation card (Nvidia Quattro FX or ATI FireGL) is ideal. The requirements aren't that high (512MB of GPU RAM and DirectX 9.0 support), but workstation cards are optimized for programs like Maya. These things are extremely expensive however, so you might want to consider a regular gaming graphics card (especially since professionally using a gaming graphics card is a lot easier than gaming on a workstation card). However, I'd get an Nvidia card in that case. If I recall right, Maya can make use of CUDA cores and these do offer an advantage.

m
l
June 29, 2010 4:40:28 PM

if she's going with the i7. would 8gb be overkill? it would not utilize the triple channel of x58 chipset?(4x2gb) im not sure with it though. but i suggested getting a 64bit windows 7. the 6gb(3x2gb) would utilize the triple channel right?

i agree the a workstation card.
m
l
June 29, 2010 4:48:23 PM

xurwin said:
if she's going with the i7. would 8gb be overkill? it would not utilize the triple channel of x58 chipset?(4x2gb) im not sure with it though. but i suggested getting a 64bit windows 7. the 6gb(3x2gb) would utilize the triple channel right?

i agree the a workstation card.

Yes, 3x2 GB is tripple channel, 4x2GB is dual channel. But benchmarks showed the performance advantage is zero. Or at best zero point something. Not worth bothering with. 8GB isn't overkill when handling very large and heavy files, but I'm sure 6GB will be fine as well
m
l
June 29, 2010 4:51:23 PM

Silmarunya said:
Yes, 3x2 GB is tripple channel, 4x2GB is dual channel. But benchmarks showed the performance advantage is zero. Or at best zero point something. Not worth bothering with. 8GB isn't overkill when handling very large and heavy files, but I'm sure 6GB will be fine as well

ok ok. thanks for the clarification silmarunya :) 
m
l
June 29, 2010 5:03:17 PM

i7 930 $200 at microcenter.com
m
l
June 30, 2010 4:35:37 AM

Thanks for help guys, every1 gets (hugs)~ =D I woulda been so lost on this.. @.@

-Update2- Item selection has been posted.

Any additional discussions needed, would be great!
m
l
June 30, 2010 4:47:42 AM

change that psu!! coolmaster psu are not what we call much Reliable. go for a antec,corsair,seasonic psu. a antec EA650watts would do

hdd:go for a samsung f3 1tb just for about $70
dvd: any cheap sata dvd drive.
m
l
June 30, 2010 4:58:15 AM

liali said:
Thanks kg2010 buh i live in AZ i already checked thm - to bad tho thts a rly good price but for in store only no shipping =(

Yep - it's unfortunate - I tried gettin my hands on one too - and it wasn't worth the 2 1/2 hr trip.

I guess your best bet is to find some combo deals. ;) 

In my opinion, I would go with the ASUS P6X58D-E - it's more feature rich, outperforms the Gigabyte, plus the Gigabyte has a few issues that may or may not be resolved yet, and the last thing you'll want to deal with is an RMA for the MOBO, which this Gigabyte board is known for.

I just went through an extensive 2 week research process with my new build, and I ended up choosing THIS Asus board over the Gigabyte.

This combo deal with the Asus board is only $5 more over the Gigabyte combo:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?Ite...
m
l
June 30, 2010 5:28:41 AM

kg2010 said:
In my opinion, I would go with the ASUS P6X58D-E - it's more feature rich, outperforms the Gigabyte, plus the Gigabyte has a few issues that may or may not be resolved yet, and the last thing you'll want to deal with is an RMA for the MOBO, which this Gigabyte board is known for.

Yeh i was kinda worried bout the board i heard it so wasn't for new builder, with all the things that needed to be done in bios and wht not + some other probs. I'll give this board a look through =D

m
l
June 30, 2010 6:07:57 AM

If you're looking for an HDD, the SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 1TB is a good choice. As for a DVD Drive, anything works really...

Also when you say 'Decided', are you willing to change anything others might suggest, because the P6X58D-E is a very nice board.

Here's a cheaper HD 5770 (after rebate) with most likely a better cooling system. (If you've somehow got the XFX version cheaper then just ignore this.)

ASUS CuCore Radeon HD 5770
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

I don't know the exact specs of the RAM you've chosen... but try this is an epic kit for $169.99.. CL7, 1600 MHz all at 1.5V.

An SSD for bootup and storage for a few applications is also a good idea.
m
l
June 30, 2010 6:43:11 AM

Lmeow said:
If you're looking for an HDD, the SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 1TB is a good choice. As for a DVD Drive, anything works really...

Also when you say 'Decided', are you willing to change anything others might suggest, because the P6X58D-E is a very nice board.

Thanks for info and asking tht, i forgot to add "un" after i copy pasted lol
m
l
June 30, 2010 7:14:31 AM

With your last undecided parts, the ASUS P6X58D-E is a good board, if you can get that current Corsair RAM kit for less than $169.99, stick with it, otherwise go for the one I suggested.

The Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus is a great price performance cooler, just make sure you get it below $40 or so, otherwise it's a ripoff (newegg rose the price recently due to its popularity), you can get it for around $35 normally.
m
l
June 30, 2010 7:49:27 AM

Lmeow said:
With your last undecided parts, the ASUS P6X58D-E is a good board, if you can get that current Corsair RAM kit for less than $169.99, stick with it, otherwise go for the one I suggested.

G.SKILL PI Series 6GB - (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600
Cas Latency 7
Timing 7-8-7-24-2N
Voltage 1.5V
169.99$

CORSAIR XMS3 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600
Cas Latency 8
Timing 8-8-8-24
Voltage 1.65V
174.99$ (10$ rebate-$164.99)

I have no idea how to compare ram lol Timing and Latency? I'm not sure whts better.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Lmeow said:
The Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus is a great price performance cooler, just make sure you get it below $40 or so

Yeh i saw it on amazon for like 30$ or something but then i saw the shipping date 1-2months and was like LoLwut, so
i wasn't sure where to get it at now.
m
l
June 30, 2010 8:08:12 AM

Understanding latencies is very simple. ;) 

Latency is the time it takes for data to reach the RAM from CPU and other motherboard components, and the longer it takes for the data reach the RAM, the slower your computer is.

That's why 7-8-7-24-2N is faster than 8-8-8-24-2N. However to be honest the difference between the two isn't physically noticeable, and really the difference between 1333 MHz and 1866 MHz RAM is quite small, and only noticeable in benchmarks.

The RAM I suggested runs at a lower voltage, has better latencies and a better memory heatspreader. However, considering you're getting the XMS3 kit for less, you might as well, because the G.SKILL PI series heatspreader might interfere with the CM Hyper 212 Plus heatsink, and the latencies aren't noticeable.

As for the Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus, here's a link from NCIXUS.

http://www.ncixus.com/products/41337/RR-B10-212P-GP/COO...

From Micro Center, it's here for $24.99.

http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml...
m
l
June 30, 2010 12:23:52 PM

Lmeow said:
1.Understanding latencies is very simple. ;) 
2.From Micro Center, it's here for $24.99.

http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml...

Thank you very much =D

kg2010 said:
If you or your friend will ever Overclock, here's one of the best coolers for $35.

Look it up, it's the 2nd best performer only to the NH-D14, it's also HUGE, but for the price, it's a very good candidate.

LoL @ Noctua NH-D14 it rly is big~ got to see wht it looked like in the case we got too.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6CRgvVBzeL4&annotation_i...
m
l
June 30, 2010 3:06:23 PM

Yeah, this guy is a beast! And so is the Scythe, for $35, the Scythe is on par with the Noctua. ;)  But if you're not OC'ing, then the 212 will be just fine.
m
l
June 30, 2010 3:49:14 PM

Full build

Case
HAF 922 (you already have)

CPU/Mobo
i7-930 and GA x58 UD3R $464 w/ promo code MBTEN

Not sure why people are advocating the more expensive Asus. Toms did an extensive review of both the asus and the GA board, and recommended the Ga one.
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/x58-usb-3.0-sata-6-...

RAM
G Skill Eco DDR3 1600 7-8-7-24 $105
G Skill is pretty much the way to go atm. Excellent timings and very low voltages.

PSU/HD
Corsair 650TX and Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB $140 w/ Promo Code EMCYTNR46
Top of the line PSU and HD

GPU
XFX 5770 $160 w/ Promo Code VGA7025770

OS
Win 7 OEM 64 bit $95

Optical
Cheapest SATA drive you can find. ~$20

Total including shipping is $1,001 also have $20 MIR.

You can throw in a Cm Hyper 212 Plus grab it from Frys as linked above, or amazon for $26, free ship.
http://www.amazon.com/Cooler-Master-RR-B10-212P-G1-Univ...
m
l
June 30, 2010 6:08:55 PM

It only performs badly when you put it under a ridiculously unrealistic crossload, in normal situations it is absolutely fine - very 'lusterful'. And this review is very positive about it http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/XFX-650-W-XXX-Ed... admittedly only because they didn't test it the way jonnyguru did.
m
l
June 30, 2010 6:22:05 PM

The Asus is being recommended because it's a BETTER board, and the Gigabyte has lots of issues:

Check out the benchmarks - the Asus outperformed the Gigabyte in almost EVERY test - not to mention the reliability of the Asus.

Why was the UD3R recommended?

Because of its VALUE, not because it outperformed the others - that's the only reason it was recommended.

My previous build was with a Gigabyte, and I've always loved Gigabyte - but the issues on the UD3R can not be ignored, regardless of its "value"

Overall the Asus is a much better board, and when you compare the combo deals, the Asus is clearly the better choice for a $5 difference

That MBTEN promo code ends today - personally I still wouldn't get the Gigabyte - even with a $50 coupon - the risk vs reward isn't worth it to me - but that's just ME. ;) 

If she ends up with 1 of the problematic boards, like many people have - taking the whole computer apart to RMA the board is a pain in the you know where. I've yet to see reports where the issues have been properly addressed, but I do continue to see disappointed people who trade in their UD3R for something better like the Asus, across many different forums ;) 
m
l
June 30, 2010 6:52:15 PM

You should read the full article.

Quote:
Yet, while none of the technology strikes us as exceptionally new, one product stood out by providing a great amount of it for an incredibly low price. Priced around $150 less than its "big brother" UD7 model, Gigabyte’s X58A-UD3R has nearly as many onboard features. The X58A-UD3R even offers more features than Asus’ mid-priced P6X58D-E, for a price roughly equal to ASRock’s lower-cost model. With consideration for the price premium that normally accompanies X58-based products, we simply haven’t seen a motherboard value this good since November of last year. That level of value earns the X58A-UD3R an award.

The total performance difference is 0.7%, hardly significant or even noticeable. The GA's additional features more than compensates for this minute difference.

Also the price difference is actually $26. The GA has 10% off promo code, MBTEN

The tradeoff here is a 0.7% total performance vs 13% price difference and more features.

Price diff calculated taking values of $200 for asus after combo and $174 for Ga after combo/promo.

GA and Asus are both quality MOBO makers. Both companies occasionally have bad boards, it's unavoidable. That said, there hasn't been any significant issues reported for either board.
m
l
June 30, 2010 7:22:13 PM

The only thing the Gigabyte has over the Asus is the eSata port - overall the Asus is still more feature rich.

•Support RAID in SATA II and SATA III
•Crossfire x16 in dual mode or x16/x8/x8 in 3 way.
•Support SATA III and USB 3.0 EVEN in Crossfire and this is the problem of the UD3R that don't support USB 3.0 when u use Crossfire.

No problems reported with either board? The Asus yes - the Gigabyte - think again

Go to Google and type this:

ga-x58-ud3r issues

ga-x58-ud3r no post

ud3r hissing sound

Read this thread, and see how "happy" these guys are with their Gigabyte board
http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1493744&page=19

More specifically - the type of PSU may be able to fix the hisssing sound, there's a compiled thread of what PSU works and what doesn't, so she'll have to check that list and spend MORE on a PSU in order to be compatible with the UD3R - is all this extra trouble worth a $20 discount, which she'd have to take advantage of today - tomorrow - we're back to square 1 - and a $5 difference in combos.

She's set on saving $50 for her PSU, and it will cost her $70 to buy it.

BTW - this is an excellent choice of PSU & HD +1:

PSU/HD
Corsair 650TX and Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB $140 w/ Promo Code EMCYTNR46
Top of the line PSU and HD

----------

Here's the thread with the PSU compatibility issues ( sadly her current PSU is NOT on either list, so we don't know if it's going to work or not )
http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1035302454&postcoun...

the Corsair 750TX - SlithereenSlardar - Rev 2.0 is currently on the reported whine list - so I'm assuming the 650TX will also have that same reported whine issue.

Not to mention the POST issues among other things, which there will be tweaking required - the UD3R is causing several problems even to experienced computer users, and they have to mess with the bios, and tweak many settings.

After taking all of this into consideration, the Asus is the better buy, especially if she doesn't buy the UD3R today for the extra 10% discount ( $20 ) - tomorrow - the combo deal is a $5 difference again.

Personally I love Gigabyte boards in general - just not a fan of the UD3R due to its reported issues, they dropped the ball on this one. Who knows, she may luck out and get a rev2 board with the C1E disabled, which MAY solve the issue, plus, her PSU MAY be compatible with it - it just seems like a gamble to me.

My money is on the Asus ( literally ) as I just bought mine today.
m
l
!