Dr_JRE

Honorable
Aug 12, 2012
Hitachi DeathStar eh?

Yeah it's a good, size, its not a bad drive, but for just a little more, you are better off with a Seagate.

Hitachi DeathStars drive small computer companies out of business. I remember in the start of the 21st century, Hitachi DeskStar hard drives had a 75% failure rate within their warranty period.

I just got a DeskStar for this laptop and I have already returned it. It was defective from day 1 and i didn't know untill after I sold the stock OEM hard drive.

But... that aside, it might be great, you might not ever have an issue and it'll be just fine. But like I said, for a few bucks more, get a Seagate and be happy.

there own by wd now. all drive vendors will have bad batches of products. seagate had some drives that turned into bricks after so many turn ons from a firmware issue. for your question on should i get a larger drive or not. it going to be what your going to install or download to the drive. if your going to do a lot of music and movies i would look into getting a usb incloser and another 1g drive and use the other drive and a storage drive. or pick up another 1g drive when you have the money and put it inot the front 5 inch bay as a storage and back up drive. you can add another drive latter if you need one and it wont hurt the data on drive c. in real life you have to install a lot of games and music to fill a one tb drive.

master_chen

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012
OP, I'll just tell you one thing: whatever you do, whatever you'll choose in the end, DO NOT take any of the "Blue" or "Green" caviar line of WD HDDs, they are ABSOLUTE TRASH, especially the UBER-FAIL - 2TB "Green" Caviar EURS/EARS.
If you need to take WD - take "Black" caviar, it's reliable, but NOT the "Blue" or "Green" garbage!

On HDDs:
.. Up until the -11 fiaso, Segate was one of my prefered drive. No longer.
.. On the Green/Blue drives, concur - Do not recommend and that includes the yellow with red pokadots - opps that was Ladies swimware.
.. Only consummer drives I currently recommend is thw WD black and (With reservations) the Samsung F3. The samsung F3 was my Preferred drive. HOWEVER Samsung sold the plant (down River) to Seagate. The F3's are still made in the same plant, by the same people. Just a question on QC and if Seagate does some "cost-savings".

ON SSD, My recommended Min size is 80 gigs with a recoomended size of 120/128 gig.
Yes, som get buy using a 60 gig, but there are also the others that regreat buying a 60 Gig SSD.
Have to also remember that 60 gig is really only 56 gig formated, Then the MIN space that should be left free is 10 % (just read an artical that free space should be 20%). This equats to a MAX of 50 gigs useable (if apply 20%, usable space drops to 45 GIGs!!!)

master_chen

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012

Absolute nonsense, especially considering that almost all modern PC cases include SSD-specific cages, or HDD cages that have SSD mounting holes in them.
You can either install SSD in the SSD-specific cage, OR mount it in the 3.5" HDD cage that has SSD mounting holes in it (obvious examples: HAF XM, HAF X, Storm Trooper, Cosmos II).

Dr_JRE

Honorable
Aug 12, 2012

Thank you, good to know.

master_chen

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012

You really didn't know anything about it until today? Really?
Oh LOL, man. Your case must be 8+ years old, because they began doing them SSD mounting holes for 3.5" bays back in 2008, almost 5 years ago.
Even the cheapest and most simple cases these days have them.