Sign in with
Your question

BIOS will not recognize ANY hard drive

Last response: in Motherboards
March 29, 2011 12:45:36 AM

I have a Toshiba L505D with AMD CPU/Win 7

Was working fine. (it may have been dropped).

Now the system will not recognize the hard drive, doesn't show in BIOS.
So I'm thinking, bad hard drive, easy fix.
But it will not recognize any hard drives I put in, none of them will show up in BIOS.
I've used a new hard drive, known good spare hard drives etc...nada.
BIOS is up to date.

So in my experience this is screaming hardware failure.

I'd like a second opinion only because I'm not sure if there is a known Toshiba laptop issue out there I don't know about. I've tried changing BIOS SATA settings but no difference.

Is it worth tearing it apart or is the hard drive controller part of the motherboard, rather than a ribbon that may have come loose etc...

Appreciate the help.
a b V Motherboard
March 29, 2011 10:31:07 AM

I know what I would do in this case;
I would pull the HD, hook it to a known working computer via a USB external enclosure. Back up my data from it (which means it is working).
Put it back into the laptop and boot from the Windows disc (uh-oh, you did copy off the OS when it was new didn't you? If not, lesson learned), I would take a known working HD from another computer and connect it as before via USB and see if it is recognized.
If it is, OK, NOW it is worth tearing down to look for a loose ZIF ribbon. If there isn't one, the MB is probably bad.
Related resources
March 29, 2011 8:27:01 PM

Thanks for the responses so far.

To answer the first post. I did try to do the restore with my restore CD's but unfortunately with the BIOS not even recognizing that there was a hard drive present, this failed.

I took it apart today and reseated all the internal cables and and even the CPU.
When I fired it back up again, it did recognize the hard drive.
So I tried to restore again and during the restore it froze. Upon reboot, the hard drive no longer recognized.
I rinsed and repeated the reseating of the internal cables etc...
Did the same thing. Hard drive was there, then it wasn't.
Doesn't matter what hard drive I use, it has done this with multiple spares as well.

I'm starting to think Motherboard all the way. Not sure a CPU issue would cause the erratic behavior.

Any thoughts?
a b V Motherboard
March 29, 2011 10:10:26 PM

Almost any component can cause this randomness. But after your testing, it sure sounds like the motherboard is bad.
a b V Motherboard
March 29, 2011 11:07:48 PM

What are the voltages?
April 13, 2011 7:16:23 PM

Update: Replaced the motherboard and it works great.

Thanks for the replies.
April 21, 2012 1:30:52 AM

Toshiba's require a special HDD device driver that you need to put on a CD or USB Flash drive and when you get to the part in windows setup where it is looking for the HDD and can't find it then you just click browse and point it to the right place :) 
January 26, 2013 1:24:50 AM

Mayoradeath420 said:
Toshiba's require a special HDD device driver that you need to put on a CD or USB Flash drive and when you get to the part in windows setup where it is looking for the HDD and can't find it then you just click browse and point it to the right place :) 

I have searched and searched and can not find where to download this driver help!
January 26, 2013 1:26:38 AM

I should be more specific, Bios does not show a HDD at all, my HDD worked another computer, but will not show in models, I goit to the point in windows 7 repair, but I can not find a Toshiba A135 HDD driver
!