CoD4/WaW/MW2 low fps on sapphire 4890 1gb oc on Win7

KeeperEnforcer

Distinguished
May 21, 2010
Hey guys, I had Windows XP previously and I played CoD with super smooth gameplay, but ever since I went to Windows 7 (with a clean install), Modern Warfare, World at War and MW2 (dont take mw2 into account too much, it was during the Free Weekend play) play at barely 30fps when anything more then a bloody corridor is shown.

On XP I had settings maxed out except resolution and it would pull full frames no problem. 1280x1024 works nice for my 19 screen while not making the next small. And this was long before I overclocked my video card about 50mhz and my AMD x4 940 CPU 3.0ghZ to 3.5ghz.

Ive tried everything I could think of, even looking all over the net.

Putting CPU+GPU back to stock settings (When overclocked, stress test were done.) Updated Drivers, DOWNgrading drivers (Tested 10.4, had 10.1, then tested 9.1, then went ALL THE WAY down to 8.something...all the same) and putting all settings on the CCC to performance settings or putting them on game settings only. Even flashed and updated the bios which im pretty sure wont do a thing.

All my other games run just fine like they did on XP (some even faster but maybe it was just excitement, of win 7) Newest game being Bad Company 2 even runs nice (had to do some tweaking but nothing that MURDERED quality)

Its only with both call of duty 4 and WaW does it run like crap and the only way I can get it to show any kind of improvement in frames is by completely striping all the quality settings. (god I almost cry when I try to play the first level of CoD4...the rain lags it up so bad regardless...)

Is there something im missing? Cause its really been bugging me...

My computer specs are:

Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-UD4H
AMD Phenom II X4 Black Edition 940, 3516 MHz (17.5 x 201) (3rd party air fan)
4GB (2gbx2) Kingston 2G-UDIMM 2 GB DDR2-1066 DDR2 SDRAM
Sapphire HD4890 1GB DDR5 OC (normally 901mhz, OC'ed further to 950 with stress & temp test done)
Power supply CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W

KeeperEnforcer

Distinguished
May 21, 2010
My monitor can go up to 1680x1050 but like I said, text gets annoying to read on most games.

Catalyst drivers are the ones ive been doing nothing but messing with.

All the games in question as well are run from steam which are all updated.

EDIT:

Also I did try it, course it only makes the FPS worse...funny thing though is not by too much, about 10Fps so around 20's

blindbeggar

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2010
Hi, I figured out a drop of FPS, but I have nVidia card.

If you have it, try to look for "Ambient Occlusion" feature in your driver CCC, if there is a such thing, then turn it OFF.

By the way, I turned it ON to see the "realism", but only a huge drop of FPS is visible.. heh... from 60-90 to 20-30.