"WLAN AutoConfig service has successfully stopped "

USAT

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2010
Hello,

I am receiving this message in my event log viewer "WLAN AutoConfig service has successfully stopped ". I am using a Windows 7 64bit custom PC.
My PC is wired to my wireless router but at one time, I installed a wireless USB when I needed to take my PC to another location where the only access to the internet would be wireless.
I returned home and un-installed the wireless USB and am back to being hard wired again. I am not sure as to why I have this error when I no longer have the wireless USB installed.
Is this an error within my registry that I can disable or change so that my PC understands that I do not have or use the WLAN? I am not showing any network adapters that are wireless, just my two Marvell Local Adapters.
Your counsel is appreciated.
Thanks,
Scott

It's not an error. Your USB wireless adapter was probably using it to support its wireless configuration. This used to be called WZC (Wireless Zero Configuration) in XP (apparently MS renamed it starting w/ Vista). If you're not using wireless then the service isn't needed.

USAT

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2010
Thanks eibgrad for your reply,

I agree that since I am no longer using the wireless, the service isn't needed. However, how do I correct the error in the Event log viewer so that it no longer displays that my WLAN AutoConfig service has successfully Stopped?
I do realize that it is not that important that it shows this error, but I would like to change whatever setting there is so that Windows is no longer is trying to utilize this function that no longer exist.

Brian_tii

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2010
a) kaa0653 is spot on that disabling the service will correct it

b) Is is showing up as an ERROR or as just an informational within the Event Logs? Lots of informational messages will show up there and not mean anything is wrong... just an FYI. Like "Hey, FYI I'm going to do this, not that it affects you, just wanted you to be aware"

Jonny9781

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2010
You need to edit the 'EventLog-System' Event Trace Session (Data Collector Set) in compmgmt.msc (under Performance).
The problem is you need more rights than 'just an admin'!
I just managed this using my 'elevated taskmgr'

to get god's taskmgr, you can safely-hijack the stickykeys eventhandleEXE, just run this command

REG ADD "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options\sethc.exe" /v Debugger /t REG_SZ /d "c:\windows\taskmgr.exe"

you can then 5-tap shift @ winlogon and get the taskmgr... proceed with caution. youshouldbackupfirstetc

bXhkYa2.png

(I stopped the event-log-system trace session before removing wlan-autoconfig trace provider, not sure if that's a necesary step).