Sign in with
Your question

$600 casual gaming, light video editing- please review build

Last response: in Systems
June 29, 2010 2:34:18 PM

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: 2 weeks BUDGET RANGE: $600 Before Rebates

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: general internet, light photo editing, home video editing in WAX, casual gaming

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: keyboard, mouse, monitor, speakers, OS

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: newegg.com or whoever is cheapest

COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: USA

PARTS PREFERENCES: AMD

OVERCLOCKING: No

SLI OR CROSSFIRE: Maybe in the future

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1680x1050

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: Been a while since I built a computer so I'm out of the loop. My wife just recently got into editing home movies and I don't know much about what components affect that the most. My wife and I are to busy to game much right now, but things should calm in about six months. Don't need to run games at the highest settings, we have a 1680 x 1050 Widescreen monitor that suits our needs.

Here is what I've come up with so far. I don't really like the way the case looks, but it's a good price and well reviewed so I can live with it. Feel free to recommend something else

June 29, 2010 3:54:38 PM

Well for the same money, you can get this Antec 300 Illusion and Antec EA-430D combo, if you like the look of that case.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?Ite...

With a 5750, you won't need a 600W power supply, so you can drop down to any good 400 to 450W power supply from Antec, Corsair or SeaSonic and still be good to go!!
m
l
June 29, 2010 4:06:04 PM

I'll hopefully be keeping this system for awhile and upgrading components with time, so I went with a lot more PSU than I would initially need.
m
l
Related resources
June 29, 2010 4:12:11 PM

If you are wanting to upgrade components and use the power supply for a while, I highly recommend upgrading to either an Antec, Corsair or SeaSonic over Cooler Master. It would be well worth the money, if that is your plan. Cooler Master are not considered a top tier power supply or highly recommended.

Example, the Antec TP-550 has 41AMPS on it's 12V rail, where the Cooler Master has only 40AMPS.
m
l
June 29, 2010 4:33:07 PM

Actually, those reviews are better than typical Cooler Master reviews. Maybe they are heading in the right direction and improving??
m
l
June 29, 2010 4:36:18 PM

I don't know but I'll probably stay away from it if they don't have a good reputation in general. Does everything else look good on my build?
m
l
June 29, 2010 5:13:54 PM

Yeah thats a good one. If you want cheap, theres a HEC Blitz case with a seagate 500gb 7200.12 for $60
m
l
June 29, 2010 8:05:16 PM

If I get that Antec NEO I noticed it doesn't come with a power cord, do I need to get anything special or will my old one work, it's from a much smaller offbrand PSU.
m
l
June 29, 2010 8:35:41 PM

I'm bad about sending in rebates, so I'll stick with the Antec and the Power Cord you posted. I find it amusing that shipping is free on the PSU, but the shipping for the $3.49 cord is $2.99. So I guess I'll order this tonight to make sure to get the 15% off and order everything in about two weeks.
m
l
June 30, 2010 2:41:10 AM

That 5770 is actually more, I'm looking at prices before rebates. I appreciate the thought but I need to keep costs down.
m
l
!