How to make SSD the boot drive

Emelth

Distinguished
Alright got all my parts to my new computer build, gonna be working with a Crucial M4 64GB SSD. How do I instal this properly to make it the drive I put windows on

Dr_JRE

Honorable
Aug 12, 2012

Windows doesnt care where the drive is plugged in. but if you ever plan to install new drives you might as well do it right.
On the motherboard the SATA ports should be labeled. SATA 0 is typically the first port, but sometimes it is labeled as SATA1. if they are not labeled and you are unable to locate a manual for your motherboard, the first SATA port should be the one closest to the North Bridge & CPU.

If you are still confused, just take note of what size the drive is. when you go to install windows you will be asked where to install it. all you have to do is select the drive that looks like it would be your SSD.

^ CONCUR

Which Port on MB, OPPS no MB listed, so generic info.
Hpefully you have a MB with Intel Sata III port, Intel works MUCH better tha say a marvel based SATA III Controller.
IF SO plug into Intel SATA III port, NO other HDDs attached.
Install Windows 7.
When Installation is complete:
.. Power down.
.. Connect HDD.
.. Power UP, go to BIOS andset first Boot device to SSD

ENJOY System

PS. Even if you have a SDATA III HDD, do not plug into to Intel Sata III port (YES IT WILL WORK FINE). IT would be a waste of a GOOD sata III port, Plug Hdd into either the Intel SATA II port, or the Marvel Sata III port. NOTE: Mechanicall HDDs do NOT run faster on sata III even though they are Labeled sata II - Marketing tool. Save the port for Your 2nd SSD.

Dr_JRE

Honorable
Aug 12, 2012
Yup, 2.5" is ment for laptops, but works just fine in desktops. in fact 2.5" isn't exactly uncommon to see in an off the shelf desktop if size or energy efficiency is the key feature.

Most SSDs (2.5") come in three Flavors, which can effect P1:
1) Plain Jane, or OEM. Bare drive Nothing else. Cheapest by a few dollars.
2) Kit version for Desktop. This Adds a 2.5" -> 3.5" mounting Bracket ( A WHOLE $5 kit). may or may NOT include a Migration kit.
3) Laptop Kit. Generally includes a Migration/Cloning Software. On of mine came with EZ Gig II which requires a speacial USB->Sata cable adaptor (was included). LOL, you can download EZ Gig IV, which is FREE, but need the adaptor. HOWEVER there are a couple of Free onees out there suchas EaseUS.

Sata Cable included is a Hit/miss as generally MBs provide spares.