Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Which is better intel i5 or intel centrino 2?

Last response: in CPUs
August 27, 2010 4:15:44 PM

Hi, everyone. I am gonna buy a sony viao laptop,and i have two choices intel i5 from e series and intel centrino 2 from f series and i am confused which to buy.So, please help me out...you can check these two out on "www.bestbuy.com".please help me....

More about : intel intel centrino

a c 203 à CPUs
a b å Intel
August 27, 2010 4:18:41 PM

Hello usama_79;

Need the specific Core i5 and Centrino Core 2 Duo model numbers.
Core i5 are the newer CPUs but there are Centrino Core 2 Duo models that are faster and more powerful
Score
August 28, 2010 1:25:15 AM

stay away from the intel core 2 series the core 2 family was terrible at all weak procesors but the i5 or the i7 is very good even if the processor is not fast it has the turbo boost technolgy wich automatcly accelerate the cpu frequency you must knowen that earlier but any way some of the core 2 series processors is very powerful wich its the core 2 quad or the 2 extreme but they are really expensive comparing it to decent i5 or i7 processors and as you mentioned the centrino is laptop version so you may not overclock it later so get the i5 and you are set
good luck
Score
Related resources

Best solution

a b à CPUs
August 28, 2010 8:21:57 AM

johnnyq8 said:
stay away from the intel core 2 series the core 2 family was terrible at all weak procesors but the i5 or the i7 is very good even if the processor is not fast it has the turbo boost technolgy wich automatcly accelerate the cpu frequency you must knowen that earlier but any way some of the core 2 series processors is very powerful wich its the core 2 quad or the 2 extreme but they are really expensive comparing it to decent i5 or i7 processors and as you mentioned the centrino is laptop version so you may not overclock it later so get the i5 and you are set
good luck

The core 2 family was terrible?

That's a pretty gross mischaracterization. The Core 2 series were excellent CPUs, and were easily the fastest of their time. They also made incredible mobile processors, and there still aren't any i3, i5, or i7 processors that can match the Core 2 ULV series for battery life (though the i5 and i7 ULV processors are quite a bit faster than the Core 2 ULV, you do lose an hour or two of battery life by switching).

Now, it's true that the Core i series are faster on the whole, but there are some Core 2 CPUs which are faster than some Core i5s, so to say for sure which is faster, you would need to know which specific models the OP was looking at.

(You should really learn what you're talking about before you make a fool out of yourself like this)
August 28, 2010 10:43:05 PM

cjl said:
The core 2 family was terrible?

That's a pretty gross mischaracterization. The Core 2 series were excellent CPUs, and were easily the fastest of their time. They also made incredible mobile processors, and there still aren't any i3, i5, or i7 processors that can match the Core 2 ULV series for battery life (though the i5 and i7 ULV processors are quite a bit faster than the Core 2 ULV, you do lose an hour or two of battery life by switching).

Now, it's true that the Core i series are faster on the whole, but there are some Core 2 CPUs which are faster than some Core i5s, so to say for sure which is faster, you would need to know which specific models the OP was looking at.

(You should really learn what you're talking about before you make a fool out of yourself like this)

im not fool i did say that there is powerful cpu's from core 2 series but they are so expensive comparing it to a decent i5 cpu like i5 750 or core 2 quad Q9650
Score
September 5, 2010 3:44:02 AM

Best answer selected by usama_79.
Score
a c 126 à CPUs
September 5, 2010 4:09:33 AM

WR2 said:
Hello usama_79;

Need the specific Core i5 and Centrino Core 2 Duo model numbers.
Core i5 are the newer CPUs but there are Centrino Core 2 Duo models that are faster and more powerful

Um the Centrino series has nothing to do with the CPU itself. Its mainly the WiFi/WiMAX part of it. In some cases its used kind of like AMDs Dragon branding when you buy a AMD chipset, GPU and CPU. Centrino is listed for the Chipset, CPU and IGP.

From what I know, Centrino is one of the best wireless setups out. If you can find a Core i5 laptop with Centrino in it, it wouldn't hurt.
Score
a b à CPUs
September 5, 2010 11:30:17 AM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!