Sign in with
Your question

Computer Lock Ups

Last response: in Motherboards
March 29, 2011 3:14:55 AM

I posted awhile back about the computer locking up, freezing with an image on the screen, or going to a black screen and beeping. Thought it was a bad HDD, replaced it, still had issues, discovered it was probably the PSU, replaced that as well. According to people at work the damaged PSU, could have damaged the Motherboard.

Today started a new set of problems, I was playing a game, and the graphics went all wonky, kind of pixelated, then it had lines going up and down the screen, and the screen flickered every now and then, with purple shades going around the edges.

I figured it was the game being bugged, so I logged out and all was well.

Came home tonight, and the computer boots into windows, and then doesn't go any further, it seems like it is a slide show, the screen kind of freezes and when you move the mouse it takes a while to move across the screen, but it isn't smooth, it kind of bounces around. Naturally you can't click on anything, and when you do, nothing happens. Control alt deleted doesn't do anything and if you hit it a bunch the computer beeps at you.

I turned it off, and booted into the bios, which worked fine. Told it to switch to onboard video and tried that, which of course doesn't work because the display settings of windows were for a high end video card, so the on board video for some reason, will not turn itself to the correct resolution for the screen to work.

Long story short, I can't get the computer to start up with its onboard video because I can't see anything, and I can't turn the resolution down because when I boot normally it does that weird freezing thing.

Is this a mother board issue?

Can a graphics card cause the computer to freeze and unfreeze, then freeze again, but not freeze to the point where you need to shut it off.

Or is it the PSU again? People said weird things mean PSU problems. And I just replaced it.

Or is it the Motherboard finally giving out.

More about : computer lock ups

a b V Motherboard
March 29, 2011 7:50:15 AM

Boot in safe mode with the graphics card to see how that works. If so, update the drivers. If not, try with the integrated graphics booting to safe mode (as it's low res).
m
l
March 29, 2011 2:31:54 PM

The computer boots just fine into safe mode and doesn't appear to have any issues. However I cannot get it to boot with the onboard video. Everytime I switch it to use onboard video the screen stays black and the monitor says for best resolution to change the resolution. Which I can't cuz I can't see the screen
m
l
Related resources
March 29, 2011 3:54:50 PM

Can I unplug the power from the graphics card but leave it clicked Ito the motherboard to force the computer to boot using the onboard or do I have to physically remove the card?
m
l
a b V Motherboard
March 29, 2011 8:13:27 PM

Remove the card. If you just remove the power, it will complain about that.
m
l
March 29, 2011 8:36:11 PM

I let the computer sit over night, and booted it up normal today, and it seems to be working okay. I wonder if the graphics card is overheating?

Would that cause issues?

What is a "redraw" issue as windows calls it?

With the troubleshooter, the best option is "screen flickers or is garbled" then asks if I haev a redraw problem, which I'm not sure what that is, but both options tell me to reboot in safe mode or to ajust the settings.

Not sure which setting is causing the issue or if the card is on it's last leg.

I opened the case and the card's fan is spinning and I feel heat coming out of the exhaust part of it, so im not sure if thats the case?

you can hear a very faint increase in fan speed, like it's trying to cool itself off, but I can't tell which fan is actually increasing in speed.

THe computer worked fine for about 5 minutes, then started to do that where the computer locked up, and the screen started to flicker, mouse would move around like a slide show, but you couldn't click on anything, or hit control alt delete.
m
l
March 30, 2011 1:03:31 AM

I removed the graphics card and used the onboard video memory, and it has so far been working okay.

However it just did the crash with a little flicker of the screen and the vertical lines, and goofy color dis-figuration.

Could the motherboard have damaged the graphics card and both of them are bad, or is it the motherboard because the graphics card is plugged into it?

We think at one point the PSU went dead causing damage to the board, could it have friend the card as well?
m
l
a b V Motherboard
March 30, 2011 1:34:07 AM

What PSU do you have? If it is a good one, I'd probably suspect the motherboard as you are getting problems with the onboard as well as otherwise.
m
l
March 30, 2011 2:46:18 AM

The first one I had in there was a 650W BFG PSU.

I bought another one that is a 600W Thermaltake.

I'm thinking it's the Motherboard as well, I'm just iffy about dropping 300 on it to get a new one.

Plus removing all the thermal paste and applying a new coat of it to attach the CPU to another board is scary.

It's an Intel DG965WH board....I can't find it on Newegg or Tiger direct.

Any suggestions for secure sites to get it from?
m
l
March 30, 2011 5:57:32 PM

If I am experiencing the same issues as I was before, without the video card (although significantly less often and now the computer actually functions) is it safe to say it's the motherboard?

My question is, why, when I put the graphics card in, do the issues become worse? Is the graphics card simply amplifying the issues the motherboard has, or are both bad?
m
l
a b V Motherboard
March 30, 2011 8:44:58 PM

Well, it could be the PSU, as some Thermaltake ones aren't very good, but most likely it's OK. Find a review to check, if possible. Other than that, if is probably the motherboard.

It could be that they are both bad, but it is much more likely to be only the motherboard. It would be a chipset problem causing the onboard graphics problems, and that could easily affect PCIe too.
m
l
!