Sign in with
Your question

Building the 550 budget - when to build?

Tags:
  • Homebuilt
  • Systems
  • Product
Last response: in Systems
June 29, 2010 5:17:18 PM

So I plan on building this months budget machine.
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/cpu-gpu-overclock,2659.html

Upgrading to the AMD Athlon II X3 440...maybe just an x4, putting 4g of ram in it, and running a the Antec EarthWatts.
This would be a massive upgrade from my 3 year old solo core computer. I don't HAVE to upgrade right now, as I do all of my work on my laptop, but enjoy a game or two on my computer.

My question is, is there anything big coming out in the next 2-3 months other than the normal speed increase that would merit waiting to build a new machine. I was looking forward to usb 3, which had me considering ASRock 870 EXTREME3. I found a lot of posts where people had purchased the board, but no solid reviews.

More about : building 550 budget build

a c 84 B Homebuilt system
June 29, 2010 7:27:57 PM

You might want to give us a budget. The SBM builds aren't that great. Below is a better one. It has a Crossfire enabled board with USB 3/SATA III support, a better CPU, better case, better/bigger PSU and a better case. All for $8 more.

CPU/GPU: X3 440 and HD 5770 $210 after rebate
Mobo: Gigabyte GA-790XTA-UD4 $84 after rebate and promo code
RAM: Crucial 2x1 GB 1333 mhz CAS Latency 9 $58
HDD: Samsung Spinpoint F3 500 GB $55
Case/PSU: Antec 300 Illusion and TruePower 750W $125 after rebate
Optical: Cheap SATA DVD burner $21

Total: $553

As for when to buy/build, whenever you need to. If you don't need a new computer, then wait to get one. If you need one, don't wait. It's pointless to ask if there is new tech coming out because the answer is always yes. If you start waiting for the next new thing to come out, you will never get a new computer.
m
l
June 30, 2010 1:34:07 AM

usb3? cant go wrong with this one ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3 $139.99 price tag

but i agree with waiting.. because you WILL keep waiting, i have been waiting for 10yrs before i pulled the trigger recently lol, Star Craft 3 is coming out soon, Call of Duty, they still have alot good current games, like Modern Warfare 2, Bad Company 2
m
l
Related resources
June 30, 2010 1:52:24 AM

You can go wrong with that one, considering it's almost $60 more expensive and offers nothing for the additional cash.
m
l
June 30, 2010 4:02:00 AM

richdrizzy said:
usb3? cant go wrong with this one ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3 $139.99 price tag

but i agree with waiting.. because you WILL keep waiting, i have been waiting for 10yrs before i pulled the trigger recently lol, Star Craft 3 is coming out soon, Call of Duty, they still have alot good current games, like Modern Warfare 2, Bad Company 2

Starcraft 3? Oh man, can't wait for that ;) 

I heard things are cheaper during the summer, but I could be wrong.

And isn't 2GB of RAM too little for today's standards? Then again, you'll probably have to pay another $50 for 4GB.
m
l
June 30, 2010 12:15:35 PM

Prices really depend. I bought everything for my newest computer last November and still haven't seen prices any cheaper on the majority of parts.

2 GB of RAM is rather little, but you can't really get 4 GB and everything else needed for a good gaming build for $550. It would certainly be my first upgrade.
m
l
!