Sign in with
Your question

AMD phenom(tm) II x4 945 processor running slower then it should.

Last response: in CPUs
August 27, 2010 5:34:26 PM

Hello, I have a AMD phenom II x4 945 processor that is supposed to be a 3ghz process, the issue is, it is only running at 2.61 ghz by default. Is there something in bios I need to change to set it at 3.0? any help would be appreciated.
a b à CPUs
August 27, 2010 5:37:51 PM

That is at idle or when running many apps/playing games?? If it's on idle then i think that AMD's Cool n Quiet or whatever is lowering CPU speed to lower power consumption and fan speed.... something like Intel's Speedstep.
August 27, 2010 5:40:02 PM

That could be the case, is that something i should just leave on? and is the best way to test it, open up a game start doing something then alt tab and check the processor speed then? Thanks alot for the response.
Related resources
a c 162 à CPUs
a b À AMD
August 27, 2010 5:42:54 PM

Cool'n'quiet has multiple stages, at total idle it will be down to 800MHz, there is an intermediate stage at ~2.6GHz that i have seen on my PII 955, to see if it kicks up to full speed, get prime 95 and CPU-Z, have them open side by side, when you start running prime you should see it bounce up to full speed. If not, what board do you have? You might need a BIOS update to support that CPU.
a b à CPUs
August 27, 2010 5:46:18 PM

gattsta said:
That could be the case, is that something i should just leave on? and is the best way to test it, open up a game start doing something then alt tab and check the processor speed then? Thanks alot for the response.

Yeah you could do that. Start a game, play for some time (make sure CPU-Z is in the background, to see the CPU freq.) and see if it's 3GHz.
August 27, 2010 5:54:17 PM

Well, I went into bios and disable the cool and quiet thing, to try that way, and it seems even while playing games it doesn't change from 2.61, I have a pretty bad micro board that game with the processor in a combo deal so tbh, it could easily be that I need to somehow update my mother boards driver. Thanks a lot for the suggestion with the cool and quiet though. I need to look up what my board is and try to see if the driver is the cause. Unless there is anything else I should try.
a b à CPUs
August 27, 2010 6:02:22 PM

You can try updating your BIOS.
a c 162 à CPUs
a b À AMD
August 27, 2010 8:36:41 PM

Drivers wouldnt be the cause of it, it would be the BIOS so make sure you are updating the right thing. The drivers are how windows interacts with your board, and the BIOS is how the board interacts with everything else. You can use CPU-Z to find out what board you have.
!