System rebooting problem, tried almost everything!

seamus2849

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2010
Hello all, I am having a lot of trouble with my computer, it all started when I got the ATI Radeon 4890 card, and new 750W ultra x4 power supply installed. It started with only when I was playing a game, like Bad Company 2, and I would get the blue screen of death, error code 124. Then over about 3 months it kept happenning, even at little or no use times, no graphics running, no downloading, just maybe on the internet or typing a word doc. I have a brand new maching that I have been using to try and single out this problem but I cant seem to do it.

I thought it was the hard drive, so I reformatted it, and installed windows 7... same problem except no blue screen, just black and reboot. So then I took the data hard drive, thinking that entire first hard drive was just ruined, formatted the data one, installed windows 7.... same problem. Did a memory test, checked out fine, thought the graphics card might be the issue since Intel and ATI seem to never want to get along, switched the card with an XFX Geforce 465, same problem... One last effort to see if it was the hard drive, so I pulled it out and plugged it into my brand new machine. It has been running fine and no reboots so the problem obviously lies in the old machine, leaving only the motherboard, CPU or power supply even physically able to cause the problems. Any Suggestions??

Here is what I am working with: Maching is ibuypower 924i gaming computer bought from Tiger Direct last June:

Intel Core i7 920 2.66 GHz Processor
MSI X58 Pro LGA 1366
NVIDIA GeForce 9400GT 1GB - NOW AN ATI RADEON HD 4890
6GB High-Speed DDR3-1333 Memory Triple Channel
500GB Serial-ATA-II WORKING OFF THE SEAGATE BARRACUDA 1.5TB NOW
22x DL DVD+/-RW Drive REPLACED WITH AN LG LIGHTSCRIBE BLU RAY DRIVE
Onboard Gigabit LAN 10/100/1000
PSI ArmorX 907 Gaming Chassis
580Watt Power Supply REPLACED WITH AN ULTRA X4 750W MODULAR POWER SUPPLY
iBUYPOWER USB Deluxe Keyboard/Mouse
Vista Home Premium 64-bit

seamus2849

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2010
Just another addition... the CPU runs at about 50% on the stock intel CPU cooler and stays around 35 to 40 celcius
The video card runs about 55 to 65% on the fan and is idle around 133 F and up to 160 F in games.

banthracis

Distinguished
1. Is it still under warranty?
2. Should really use a good PSU.
3. Did you run Memtest for at least 8 passes?
4. Are RAM timings properly set in bios per RAM specifications?
5. Is there an OC?
6. Have you done a CPU stability test? Prime 95 for 12 hrs min.
7. Sure there's no virus/malware?
8. Drivers, OS up to date?