Case fans on new build...help!!!

touchdowntexas13

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2009
Alright here is what I have...

Lancool PC-K60 with 4 fans

Asus P7P55D-E Pro with a 3-pin power fan connection, a 4-pin chassis fan, a 4-pin CPU fan (for heatsink fan), and a 3-pin chassis fan.

First of all what is a power fan connection and whats the difference between it and a chassis fan connection?

The dilemma is i have more case fans than fan connections. I have heard that you can connect your case fans to the PSU via the included molex adapter.

I have also heard some people suggest that ALL of your case fans are connected to the PSU and not the mobo. This reduces the current coming through the mobo. However I only have one molex adapter I believe.

What should I do? This is my first build by the way. Thanks.

Solution
The suggestion on speed controls (some have physical knobs you can turn or whatever) was based on the premise that you might not want the fans running at 100% all the time. If you're fine with that, then by all means, directly wire them to the PSU.

Daisy-chaining means plugging one into another in a chain. Imagine, say, 3 USB hubs. You plug the first one into the computer, then the 2nd one into the first hub, and then the 3rd one into the 2nd hub. That's daisy-chaining. Another common example is daisy-chaining power strips, where one power strip is plugged into the one before it. This is usually a terrible idea with power strips.

Any time you plug a fan into a molex power connector/converter, you lose the ability to control the...

touchdowntexas13

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2009
Alright so i figured out that the 3-pin power fan connection is typically for your PSU fan control. But I am pretty sure that my corsair 850tx has no such connection. I have also read that I can use that power fan connection just like a regular fan connection, and the fan will run at 100%.

I still have 4 fans with 3 mobo headers though.

coldsleep

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2009
You can buy various fan power cables and Y-splitters at newegg.

Fan Power Cables - hope that works. If not, Computer Accessories -> Cables -> Power Cables -> Fan Power Cables

The easiest thing to do would be to power 2 fans that are close together off of 1 header with a y-splitter cable.

Alternatively, if the fans have speed controls on them, you could get a molex to 3-pin converter.

Or you could get a fan controller (also under Computer Accessories) and run the fans off of that (presumably it uses a molex power connector direct from the PSU).

banthracis

Distinguished
The molex's of case fans can be daisy chained, ie connected to each other. You could honestly power 100 case fans off 1 molex if you wanted, though that particular daisy chain would probably go out your door and halfway down the block.

touchdowntexas13

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2009
Thanks for the response. I had thought about a y-splitter, but I really don't feel like paying so much for shipping. Do you know of any physical retailers that carry y-splitters?

I live close to Fry's, Best Buy, Radioshack...

I was just curious if you knew somewhere else to buy them. I will probably need them anyways because some of my cables may be too short to get to the place I want them to be. I might just have to go Newegg.

Also, are there any issues power-wise with having two fans on one mobo header?

I don't want a fan controller. I either want the fan to just run at 100% (connected to PSU or power fan connection) or be controlled by the mobo/BIOS and included software. I am fine with my intake fan running at a constant 100%. I would like to try and have some control over my 3 exhaust fans, especially the smaller (louder) one.

What do you mean if the fans have speed controls on them you could get a molex-3 pin adapter? I'm just a little confused with what you mean.

Thanks for the quick response.

touchdowntexas13

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2009

I keep seeing that phrase "daisy chain" everywhere I go. Can you elaborate a bit more on what exactly that entails? It's starting to get frustrating seeing that phrase all over the web and I have no clue how to "daisy chain" lol. Do I lose fan control ability when I "daisy chain"?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ImageGallery.aspx?CurImage=11-112-247-Z10&ISList=11-112-247-Z01%2c11-112-247-Z02%2c11-112-247-Z03%2c11-112-247-Z04%2c11-112-247-Z05%2c11-112-247-Z06%2c11-112-247-Z07%2c11-112-247-Z08%2c11-112-247-Z09%2c11-112-247-Z10&S7ImageFlag=1&Item=N82E16811112247&Depa=0&WaterMark=1&Description=LIAN%20LI%20K60B%20Black%20CECC%20Steel%20ATX%20Mid%20Tower%20Computer%20Case

Thats a link to photos of my case. You can see there are 4 3-pin connectors, one coming off of each fan. The front fan is intake and the rest are exhaust.

How would I go about "daisy chaining these"? And would a y-splitter be better?

coldsleep

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2009
The suggestion on speed controls (some have physical knobs you can turn or whatever) was based on the premise that you might not want the fans running at 100% all the time. If you're fine with that, then by all means, directly wire them to the PSU.

Daisy-chaining means plugging one into another in a chain. Imagine, say, 3 USB hubs. You plug the first one into the computer, then the 2nd one into the first hub, and then the 3rd one into the 2nd hub. That's daisy-chaining. Another common example is daisy-chaining power strips, where one power strip is plugged into the one before it. This is usually a terrible idea with power strips.

Any time you plug a fan into a molex power connector/converter, you lose the ability to control the speed of the fan.

Your options are:
1) plug into the mobo either 1-to-1 or with y-splitters - this preserves the ability to control speed
2) plug into molex - no speed control, fans will run at 100%
3) fan controller - which you have ruled out

Solution

touchdowntexas13

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2009

Ah I see. Thanks for clearing that up. Yeah seeing as how I only have 1 intake fan, I don't really mind having that one running at 100% all the time, which is why I thought about the molex connector.

Then for the other three I thought I would try and have control over them by plugging them into the mobo.

I hope it didn't sound like I thought the fan controller was a bad idea. I just don't want to buy anything else for my build at this point (unless i find i really need something else). At this point I would rather just let software control my fans, but I can definitely see the benefit for enthusiasts in having complete control of their fans at any given moment.

So at this point I might not need a y-splitter. However I might need an extension cable. Do they sell that kind of thing at local stores?

Thanks again.

coldsleep

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2009
I would imagine that Fry's or a small local computer shop/repair place might sell a fan power extension cable. You could check Fry's website to see if they do. I would be shocked (shocked!) if Best Buy or Radio Shack carried that sort of thing. That's a little too specialized for your average customer.

No worries on the fan controller, just pointing out that it's technically an option.

touchdowntexas13

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2009

Yeah i didn't really think they would. Most of the stuff they sell is all OEM and pre-built.

Anyways thanks. I'm gonna make this work one way or another lol

touchdowntexas13

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2009

Hahaha come on man I'm trying to save money not spend it!

But I bet I could think of something I really want. I should probably get a new game to go along with my new pc :)

coldsleep

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2009
Your HDD should be fine without air blowing on it. They can get hot, but not that hot. I might consider an HDD cooling solution if you were running a database that's going to be constantly reading & writing stuff at 10k rpm+ in a poorly-ventilated system, but for a standard system drive, it shouldn't be a big deal.

Heh. Wasn't trying to get you to spend more, just saying that's the decision I usually make...and it's probably a poor decision. ;)

touchdowntexas13

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2009
Hahaha hey everyone needs an excuse to get stuff they want. I would say yours is a fair one to make. Doesn't make a lotta sense to pay $6 shipping on a $2 item.

No I am running just one HDD, one of the Samsung spinpoint F3's (1TB). I will probably remove all of the unused HDD trays as well as the 5.25" internal covers to better increase the airflow coming in.

Thanks a lot.

TRENDING THREADS