Prevent Windows Explorer from starting

How can Windows Explorer be prevented from starting when logging onto
Windows XP HE SP2?

Set the Reg_Sz string value of;
"Shell"=""
found at
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon

--
Regards,

Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"Jon A. Zettervall" wrote:
| How can Windows Explorer be prevented from starting when logging onto
| Windows XP HE SP2?

Windows Explorer is the shell for the operating system. As such it is an
integral part of Windows.

Modem Ani

"Jon A. Zettervall" <zett0004@umn.edu> wrote in message
> How can Windows Explorer be prevented from starting when logging onto
> Windows XP HE SP2?

Jon

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2003

Thanks for the response. So far, so good. New question: Prior to the
tweak, explorer.exe, when opened from taskmanager, gave me my desktop icons
and the taskbar in addition to an explorer window. Point32.exe was also
activated automatically. After the tweak I only get the explorer window
when openening from taskmanager. Is there a way to get the desktop icons,
the taskbar and point32.exe to open concurrently with the opening of
explorer.exe from taskmanager?

Thank you

You'll probably need to create a shell script to do that. To start them
sequentially create a shell script something like this and execute from Task
Manager

start "" "D:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\OFFICE11\outlook.exe"
start "" "D:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\OFFICE11\word.exe"
start "" "D:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\OFFICE11\excel.exe"