What's the easiest way to transfer RAW files?

Tags:
Last response: in Digital Camera
December 18, 2004 4:58:42 AM

I've been shooting JPEG with my 300D, but just bought a copy of
Photoshop CS, and want to start shooting RAW.

The way I've been downloading images onto my computer is via a USB
card reader and Windows XP's entirely satisfactory "Camera and Scanner
Wizard", which makes it fast and easy to grab all the images off a
card, put them in a named location, and delete them off the card. But
it seems that the Wizard doesn't pop up when you've got a card full of
RAW files, so I have to use Explorer to manually transfer files over,
which is a real pain.

So, my questions:

1. Is there any way I can make Windows XP recognize that .CRW files
should trigger the Camera/Scanner Wizard? (This would be my
preferred solution.)

2. Failing that, is there any way I can use Photoshop to automate the
download process? Its browser looks reasonable enough, but I
couldn't for the life of me find a way to copy/move files in it.

3. Failing _that_, is there any other software that's good for this
purpose? I've tried to avoid installing Canon's software, as part
of my general aversion to software written by hardware companies,
but if people say it's good (and will work with a card reader,
rather than with the camera directly), maybe I'll try it. Any
third-party stuff that's super-awesome?

--
Mike Kozlowski
http://www.klio.org/mlk/

You don't need the wizard. Just open the USB card as a disk drive in My
Computer, and drag the files where you want them!
Anonymous
December 18, 2004 4:58:44 AM

"Michael A. Covington" <look@www.covingtoninnovations.com.for.address&gt; wrote
in message news:41c3bcf7@mustang.speedfactory.net...
> You don't need the wizard. Just open the USB card as a disk drive in My
> Computer, and drag the files where you want them!

er, I mean CompactFlash card.
December 18, 2004 5:25:31 AM

Here is what I used to do...

Cam2PC.com to upload to a folder that it creates and names based on the date
of the shooting. But, Cam2PC has bloated so the earlier version is better.

What I do now is let Adobe DNG converter pull the RAW files off the card and
convert them to DNG and put them in a folder. From that folder I process the
RAW/DNG to PSD and save the DNG to CD when I have enough to fill one. The
only problem here is that this means an extra step of erasing the card...but
the other benefits offset this. My DNG folder is listed as a favorite in PS

"Mike Kozlowski" <mlk@klio.org> wrote in message
> I've been shooting JPEG with my 300D, but just bought a copy of
> Photoshop CS, and want to start shooting RAW.
>
> The way I've been downloading images onto my computer is via a USB
> card reader and Windows XP's entirely satisfactory "Camera and Scanner
> Wizard", which makes it fast and easy to grab all the images off a
> card, put them in a named location, and delete them off the card. But
> it seems that the Wizard doesn't pop up when you've got a card full of
> RAW files, so I have to use Explorer to manually transfer files over,
> which is a real pain.
>
> So, my questions:
>
> 1. Is there any way I can make Windows XP recognize that .CRW files
> should trigger the Camera/Scanner Wizard? (This would be my
> preferred solution.)
>
> 2. Failing that, is there any way I can use Photoshop to automate the
> download process? Its browser looks reasonable enough, but I
> couldn't for the life of me find a way to copy/move files in it.
>
> 3. Failing _that_, is there any other software that's good for this
> purpose? I've tried to avoid installing Canon's software, as part
> of my general aversion to software written by hardware companies,
> but if people say it's good (and will work with a card reader,
> rather than with the camera directly), maybe I'll try it. Any
> third-party stuff that's super-awesome?
>
> --
> Mike Kozlowski
> http://www.klio.org/mlk/

December 18, 2004 12:50:04 PM

On Sat, 18 Dec 2004 01:58:42 +0000 (UTC), Mike Kozlowski,
<news:cq02sh$7sn$1@reader2.panix.com> wrote this:

> I've been shooting JPEG with my 300D, but just bought a copy of
> Photoshop CS, and want to start shooting RAW.
>
> The way I've been downloading images onto my computer is via a USB
> card reader and Windows XP's entirely satisfactory "Camera and Scanner
> Wizard", which makes it fast and easy to grab all the images off a
> card, put them in a named location, and delete them off the card. But
> it seems that the Wizard doesn't pop up when you've got a card full of
> RAW files, so I have to use Explorer to manually transfer files over,
> which is a real pain.

Try "Transferer"

http://www.dps.uk.com/freeware_transferer.htm
Anonymous
December 19, 2004 12:49:24 AM

In article <vyMwd.102$Ff3.76@trndny04>,
Gene Palmiter <palmiter_gene@verizon.net> wrote:

>Cam2PC.com to upload to a folder that it creates and names based on the date
>of the shooting. But, Cam2PC has bloated so the earlier version is better.

Thanks for the advice. I tried Breeze Downloader Pro, and it pretty
much worked, but Cam2PC works a little bit better and is free
besides. I wish it had an attractive XP-style interface, but
functionally, it solidly replicates XP's native capability for
handling JPEG transfers.

--
Mike Kozlowski
http://www.klio.org/mlk/