Sign in with
Your question

BIOS won't recognize SSD anymore

Last response: in Storage
August 25, 2012 5:49:40 PM

Hi All,

tried starting my PC today and it no longer boots as it cannot see my raid ssd drive. Have looked in the BIOS and it no longer shows as an option. I can see both optical drives and 2 other hard drives but not my boot SSD. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Paul
a c 157 G Storage
August 25, 2012 6:18:14 PM

It may have just died on you.
August 25, 2012 6:22:46 PM

really? it's only a year old i thought these drives where less prone to failure than the older hard drives, is there anyway of testing?
Related resources
August 25, 2012 6:37:28 PM

insanekarma said:
really? it's only a year old i thought these drives where less prone to failure than the older hard drives, is there anyway of testing?

They're less prone to failure because of no moving parts. Not being detected is usually an electronics problem and can happen to any drive regardless of moving parts. The only way to test for sure is to put it in another computer. If it's not detected, it's RMA time.
August 26, 2012 8:15:13 AM

just remembered that i have 2 drives in raid format for my ssd, could they have both failed at the same time?
a c 157 G Storage
August 26, 2012 12:29:27 PM

highly unlikely
August 26, 2012 2:46:54 PM

insanekarma said:
just remembered that i have 2 drives in raid format for my ssd, could they have both failed at the same time?

Plug them into your regular SATA ports one at a time to see if they're detected in BIOS (don't let your system boot into windows if you have an installation that still works). Maybe it's your raid controller that's screwed up.

!