Tansfer hard drive to new PC

johns8555

Honorable
Aug 25, 2012
I have a second hard drive in Windows XP with back up data. Purchased new HP Windows 7 PC but there's no internal chamber provision for accommodating the old hard drive. How do I fix it? Bern.

johns8555

Honorable
Aug 25, 2012
Thanks for response. New computer is HP Pavilion. Power jumper is available inside; can't see data connector. Earlier PC (also HP) had internal provision and that's what I'd like.

MidnightDistort

Distinguished
May 11, 2012
Is there no place to store the drive or is there no SATA connection to the motherboard? You may need an external enclosure if you can't find any place to put the hard drive or if there's just no sata connection you can get a SATA to USB adapter. You might need a longer sata cable but you can wire the USB cord from the case to an available USB port. If you got a molex type PSU, you can find a molex to SATA cable, that way if you choose to use the second hard drive as an internal & don't plan on using it as an external you can still use the internal PSU so you dn't have to unplug the power adapter to the hard drive everytime you shut off your PC & if you want to keep your hard drive power standby settings on as well.