Sign in with
Your question

New Computer Will Not Power Up

Last response: in Systems
June 29, 2010 8:33:44 PM

I just built a new rig (my first) and when I went to power it up I got nothing! The case is a Coolmaster HAF922 and the power supply is a OCZ Fatal1ty 550w. I'm wondering about 2 things. The first is the actual power button located on the top of the case. I do not remember there being anything but led wires and some audio and usb that were all bundled together so my dumb question is: Where is the lead that connects to that button and then to the motherboard or power supply. Remember, first build here so I don't have much experience. The other question is if it's the power supply how would I know? I do not have the luxury of having another rig to try it in first (sending this from work) and I do not have any electrical testing devices. I tried a different power supply cord to no avail. I am angry because I contacted bot Coolmaster (that can only be done by e-mail) and OCZ (called them and got a recording to direct me to setting up a ticket online) 3 days ago with no response from either. How bad is that? When I had questions for both MSI and HIS during my build I was able to talk to a real person both times and could not have been treated better. Very competent technical support people who answered questions quickly and were kind to a novice like myself. I hope you guys can help me or at least direct me to where I can find the answers. Thanks.

More about : computer power

June 29, 2010 8:49:44 PM

did you read the sticky?
June 29, 2010 9:07:40 PM

Sticky read first and sheds no light or additional information. My post says that I do not have another pc to connect psu to and I will refrain from hot wiring anything that cost this much money and time. I think my questions are pretty clear. Either the psu (brand new) is dead and unless there is a safe way to test it I have no way of knowing for sure if it is the culprit. Or the power button on the case is the issue. I am getting no power whatsoever so I think we can eliminate the motherboard or anything else. My question about this particular case was about the wiring and if I missed a power wire that runs from the power button and then to the motherboard. Looking back I cannot remember connecting one and looking at the rig now I don't see one. Isn't that unusual? I'm asking because I don't know. Could it be hid away from visual access on this particular case. I realize you need specific knowledge about the Coolmaster HAF922 but that is what I need. Documentation for both the OCZ power supply and the HAF922 is really poor. Nothing online that illuminates anything by either company. Again, I would not bother anyone here with this issue but since It's been 3 days and no response from either company I thought I might find someone here who knew both of these products very well from past experience. Thanks again.
Related resources
June 29, 2010 9:13:36 PM

Oh and yes, bothe the 4 pin cpu power cord and motherboard power cords anr pluged in and pluged in properly since the sticky says both are the most common issues with new builds.
June 29, 2010 9:28:22 PM

The sticky exists for a reason. Read it completely. Why? Because the answers to your questions are written there.

I'll be nice and quote you the direct answer for 1 of your questions.

Quote:
The first is the actual power button located on the top of the case. I do not remember there being anything but led wires and some audio and usb that were all bundled together so my dumb question is: Where is the lead that connects to that button and then to the motherboard or power supply.

Quote:

17. Did you read the instructions in the manual on how to properly connect the front panel plugs? (Power switch, power led, reset switch, HD activity led) Polarity does not matter with the power and reset switches. If power or drive activity LED's do not come on, reverse the connections. For troubleshooting purposes, disconnect the reset switch. If it's shorted, the machine either will not POST at all, or it will endlessly reboot.

Quote:
Either the psu (brand new) is dead and unless there is a safe way to test it I have no way of knowing for sure if it is the culprit. Or the power button on the case is the issue.

I'll let you find the answer to that one yourself.
!