Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Need help picking new video card. $100-$150 budget. HD 4770?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
May 21, 2010 9:40:50 PM

Ok, so I'm working on a complete new build and I have everything so far except a video card. Here's what my system looks like now.

Case: Antec 300 Illusion
CPU: Core I7-860
Motherboard: GA-P55M-UD2
Hard Drive: (2) Samsung f3 500gb Spinpoint's
PSU: CMPSU-650TX
RAM: G Skill F3-10666CL8D-4GBHK 2gb x 2

Now I just need help with picking out a video card. I want something with dual DVI ports. I will mostly be using this system for music editing with pro tools, some light video editing/encoding, movie watching and some light gaming. The only games I can see me playing at the moment are left for dead 1 & 2 and the Sims 3. Maybe some older games also.

I was looking at the

HD 4770
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

or the HD 5750
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Like I said I don't do much computer gaming and just need something decent to run games like I mentioned. Also the more quiet the card, the better. Right now I've got an old 19” Acer monitor I will be using for a couple of months until I get the extra cash to buy two new monitors. That will make the work flow on pro tools so much better to have everything spread out across two monitors instead on one.

Another question is does the video card take away from my total ram that windows xp can use/see? So say I get the HD 5750 1gb card, will XP only be able to use 3gb's or less of my 4gbs of ram? If it does I would rather get a 512mb card and be able to use as much ram for my system as possible.

I plan to run XP for a little while. Next year I'll probably upgrade to Windows 7 but at the time I might just do a whole new build using some parts for this build. Any way if anyone has any suggestions then that would be great. I'm open to ordering from anywhere, newegg, tigerdirect, microcenter (have one near by).

Thanks.
a c 235 U Graphics card
May 21, 2010 9:47:58 PM

most 19" LCD are 1440x900 res, so ill assume yours is also

of the two linked, the 5750 would be the better card and can be brought over to your new build. Both cards are more then enough for your games. In fact you could go with a lesser card if you want to.

in games, the 1GB on the video card will effect the total system ram on Win XP 32bit. In fact 2GB is more then enough for Win XP 32 bit gaming.
Score
May 21, 2010 10:12:26 PM

ct1615 said:
most 19" LCD are 1440x900 res, so ill assume yours is also

of the two linked, the 5750 would be the better card and can be brought over to your new build. Both cards are more then enough for your games. In fact you could go with a lesser card if you want to.

in games, the 1GB on the video card will effect the total system ram on Win XP 32bit. In fact 2GB is more then enough for Win XP 32 bit gaming.

Thanks for the reply. I'm pretty sure that's the res on that LCD but I would have to check. Any way I'll probably be upgrading to a pair of 21" LCD's in the near future. Would I notice any real difference between the two cards I suggested running a dual monitor set up. I wouldn't be doing much gaming if any using both. I want it to mostly be able to have more room when I'm mixing music.

I'm really leaning towards the hd4770. It seems like a good value at that price point ($89.99 after rebate). Also will that video ram effect the system ram when I'm not gaming? Thanks and let me know.
Score
Related resources

Best solution

a c 235 U Graphics card
May 22, 2010 2:08:03 PM

ghostofsparta said:
Thanks for the reply. I'm pretty sure that's the res on that LCD but I would have to check. Any way I'll probably be upgrading to a pair of 21" LCD's in the near future. Would I notice any real difference between the two cards I suggested running a dual monitor set up. I wouldn't be doing much gaming if any using both. I want it to mostly be able to have more room when I'm mixing music.

I'm really leaning towards the hd4770. It seems like a good value at that price point ($89.99 after rebate). Also will that video ram effect the system ram when I'm not gaming? Thanks and let me know.

Since you don't play graphic demanding games; the 4770 is a fine card, xfx offers a double lifetime warranty on it. The 5750 timop linked is also a good value, both will run your 21" LCD with no issue. In Win xp 32 bit, video ram will effect system ram when in use. Microsoft does state some programs will still use RAM over the 3.25GB limit of 32bit.
May 23, 2010 10:31:11 PM

Best answer selected by ghostofsparta.
Score
May 23, 2010 10:33:53 PM

Thanks for all the help guys. I'm going to go with the hd 4770. Once I get more time to do some gaming I'll end up upgrading, for now the 4770 seems like more than enough for my needs.
Score
November 12, 2010 10:36:26 PM

ghostofsparta said:
Thanks for all the help guys. I'm going to go with the hd 4770. Once I get more time to do some gaming I'll end up upgrading, for now the 4770 seems like more than enough for my needs.

Any update?
Score
a c 272 U Graphics card
November 13, 2010 2:58:45 AM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!