AOD in Wrong Language

Last response: in Video Games
July 18, 2005 8:01:18 PM

Hey,

Just went to visit Germany last week, and bought AOD. I did believe that I
could select English as language - but... unfortunately I have to play the
game in German.

Has anyone got any idea on how to change language? Perhaps some
"language.dll" change/mod?

I would appreciate help other than: "Go buy the English version !"

Thanx,

More about : aod wrong language

July 18, 2005 11:15:06 PM

"Claus Muchardt-Pind" wrote
> Hey,
>
> Just went to visit Germany last week, and bought AOD. I did believe that I
> could select English as language - but... unfortunately I have to play the
> game in German.
>
> Has anyone got any idea on how to change language? Perhaps some
> "language.dll" change/mod?
>
> I would appreciate help other than: "Go buy the English version !"
>
> Thanx,

I'll sell you a Spanish one cheap.
--
Cody

July 19, 2005 4:56:27 AM

"Claus Muchardt-Pind" <claus.muchardt-pind@paradis.tdcadsl.dk> wrote in
message news:42dbb634$0$64232$edfadb0f@dread15.news.tele.dk...
> Hey,
>
> Just went to visit Germany last week, and bought AOD. I did believe that I
> could select English as language - but... unfortunately I have to play the
> game in German.
>
> Has anyone got any idea on how to change language? Perhaps some
> "language.dll" change/mod?
>
> I would appreciate help other than: "Go buy the English version !"
>
> Thanx,

How 'bout a handly dandy Berlitz German-English dictionary. Seriously,
Kennen sie nicht ins Deuche spielen? (forgiive my german spelling, it's
from high school mostly). ^_^

Inu-Yasha
Feh!!
July 19, 2005 8:13:29 AM

In the dead of night, a faint whisper from Claus Muchardt-Pind was
heard, at about 07/18/2005 10:01 AM, and I could have sworn it said ...
> Hey,
>
> Just went to visit Germany last week, and bought AOD. I did believe that I
> could select English as language - but... unfortunately I have to play the
> game in German.
>
> Has anyone got any idea on how to change language? Perhaps some
> "language.dll" change/mod?
>
> I would appreciate help other than: "Go buy the English version !"
>
> Thanx,

You could learn German! ;)  ... sorry couldn't resist.

If its the text, you may have a shot at that with any good binary editor
that has text search capabilities. Trouble is, by the time you're
through translating all the words, you know what they mean ... even in
German!

As to the vocals being in German, which I believe is more likely what
you are suggesting here ... I think you may be SOL.

If you can find someone with a US or UK copy, I'd bet the file names for
the sounds are the same and you could copy them over top of the files
you have installed. You'd have to play it a few times to be sure you
got all of them, including the tracks for the FMVs.

I don't know if anything plays directly from the CD anymore, but that
would kinda kiss the whole attempt good bye.

But then, if you knew someone with an English version, you could just
copy the CD couldn't you? 8-O
(If anyone asks, I didn't say that!)

---
PW
July 19, 2005 1:50:03 PM

"Claus Muchardt-Pind" <claus.muchardt-pind@paradis.tdcadsl.dk> ha
scritto nel messaggio
> Hey,
>
> Just went to visit Germany last week, and bought AOD. I did believe
> that I could select English as language - but... unfortunately I have
> to play the game in German.
>
> Has anyone got any idea on how to change language? Perhaps some
> "language.dll" change/mod?
>
> I would appreciate help other than: "Go buy the English version !"
>
> Thanx,
First which version do you have? PS2 or PC?
I've installed my PC version and in the data directory there's another
one called "local" There are text files for
French, German, Italian, Japonese, Korean, Portugese, Spanish and
English.
If it's the PC version it could be a matter of "localization", there are
games that install looking up your PC settings to install your version
and if your PC settings don't match it will install the default
installation in your case german.
This is the case with many games distributed in Germany for Example
GTA3, if you install it with an German Keyboard and German settings it
will install only a crippled (censured version of the game) If you set
all to US/English you will have the full game.
I would try following, disinstall the game and all game directory's, set
your PC and keybord to UK/English and make an fresh install.
Same could apply to PS2 set it to UK and try again.

An almost always friendly
Ghost.

July 20, 2005 2:48:33 AM

Hey all,

Thanx alot for your more constructive suggestions. I must say that I got me
self some good laughs to some of the reply's. But as you say: I sort of
invite you to spank me with more-or-less usefull tips.

I'm running the PC version of AOD, and as a good old TR-lover, it hurts like
hell when Lara speaks german. One thing is that Germany (as many other
contries) loves to synchronize everything on the TV into German. But... TR ?
Gimme a break.

I will try some of the localization-tricks, but the most important change
I'm looking for is the spoken langauge.

Thanx again for all your help, and please keep it comming :-)

Cheers,

"Ghost" <friendly_cyber_ghost@hotmail.com> skrev i en meddelelse

> "Claus Muchardt-Pind" <claus.muchardt-pind@paradis.tdcadsl.dk> ha scritto
> nel messaggio news:42dbb634$0$64232$edfadb0f@dread15.news.tele.dk...
>> Hey,
>>
>> Just went to visit Germany last week, and bought AOD. I did believe that
>> I could select English as language - but... unfortunately I have to play
>> the game in German.
>>
>> Has anyone got any idea on how to change language? Perhaps some
>> "language.dll" change/mod?
>>
>> I would appreciate help other than: "Go buy the English version !"
>>
>> Thanx,
> First which version do you have? PS2 or PC?
> I've installed my PC version and in the data directory there's another one
> called "local" There are text files for
> French, German, Italian, Japonese, Korean, Portugese, Spanish and English.
> If it's the PC version it could be a matter of "localization", there are
> games that install looking up your PC settings to install your version and
> if your PC settings don't match it will install the default installation
> in your case german.
> This is the case with many games distributed in Germany for Example GTA3,
> if you install it with an German Keyboard and German settings it will
> install only a crippled (censured version of the game) If you set all to
> US/English you will have the full game.
> I would try following, disinstall the game and all game directory's, set
> your PC and keybord to UK/English and make an fresh install.
> Same could apply to PS2 set it to UK and try again.
>
> An almost always friendly
> Ghost.

> News==----
> Newsgroups
> =----
July 20, 2005 7:28:42 PM

> Hey all,
>
> Thanx alot for your more constructive suggestions. I must say that I
> got me self some good laughs to some of the reply's. But as you say: I
> sort of invite you to spank me with more-or-less usefull tips.
>
> I'm running the PC version of AOD, and as a good old TR-lover, it
> hurts like hell when Lara speaks german. One thing is that Germany (as
> many other contries) loves to synchronize everything on the TV into
> German. But... TR ? Gimme a break.
>
> I will try some of the localization-tricks, but the most important
> change I'm looking for is the spoken langauge.
>
> Thanx again for all your help, and please keep it comming :-)
>
> Cheers,
That's what's friendly ghost's for ;-)

Have also a look on the disc, search for an directory called FMV, there
you will find the mpg files of the game.
There you should find some files *-Chase.mpg with an prefix GR or UK. If
there's only GR there's only the German version on the disc.

Unfortunately I'm away so I can't check my disc, to see what's on it.

An almost always friendly
Ghost