$800 Budget for New Gaming Computer

kklee1517

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2010
Hello,
I am looking for a gaming computer that matches my budget, $800. Since I never built a computer before, I need help with choosing parts. I do not want to screw up my first computer just because a part doesn't work with another part. I need a complete computer. Please include the CPU, motherboard, graphic card, RAM, power supply, hard drive, case, optical drive, and OS. I do not need a monitor, speaker, mouse, nor keyboard. This computer must be able to play all types of games. I often try games with high graphics.
I am from Canada and I need a quiet computer. I think i am going to buy it during the summer.

Thank you! :)

luke904

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2009
im going to give you advice rather than exact parts.....

os- win7 home premium 64 bit

ram- look for
-ddr3 1333
-4 GB (2x2gb)
-a reputable brand (kingston, crucial, corsair, g skill, patriot)
-priced at $100 +/- 5
-lower cas latency is better

motherboard- look for:
-at least 4 star avg review (newegg.com)
-socket AM3
-4 ram slots
-2 PCIe slots so that you can upgrade to crossfire later (if you dont think you will do this, then 1 is fine). make sure none are x4 speed, x8 is fine; it should be x16 when only using one card and x8/x8 when your using 2, (or better, like x16/x16)
-good brands in general: gigabyte, asus, msi
-bad brands in general: jetway, biostar, elite group
-dont get a micro atx (limited upgradability)
-the 890GX northbridge chipset would be perfect for you

hard drive:
-western digital is best, seagate has hit or miss reliability, same for samsung
-buy whatever capacity fits your needs and budget
-black edition drives will be fastest
-7200 rpm, high cache
-ssd and 10000rpm drives are out of your budget

optical disc drive:
-can be had for $20-25
-make sure its sata, not ide

Case:
-spend at least $50, get something nice, i regretted cheaping out on my case
-best bet: antec 300/antec 300 illusion
-shipping is expensive for cases, look for ones with free shipping

power supply:
-again, spend at least 50, bad idea to cheap out on psu
-at least 2 pci-e connectors, best to have at least one 8 pin or a 6+2 pin
-as low as 450 would be fine for a system like yours but for upgradability (crossfire) get a 600 watt, google for power supply calculators and always give some margin
-modular is nice, but far from a neccessity
-high efficiency (80 plus, etc) means less heat and thus less noise, but remember that a 500 watt psu outputs 500watts...doesnt matter what efficiency it has,

cpu-
overclocking? then phenom 2 X4 955
not overclocking then phenom 2 X4 945

graphics card
-get whatever card you can afford after you've choosen all the other components
-minimum: ati radeon 5770, but get a 5830, 5850, or 5870 if cost allows
-all brands are usually good, just look at reviews to choose a specific card. i like XFX personally. powercolor is kinda cheap

other tips:
-be sure to look for combo offers and other special deals.. you can end up getting alot more than what you pay for

-always read the one star reviews

-ask yourself what your upgrade path will be, if you plan on upgrading before building a new system
this means more money is spent on the motherboard and psu

-shipping can add up, consider this in the budget

kyle382

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2010
the way intel phases out cpu sockets makes it virtually imossible to build a "budget" pc with dis parts.

get an amd am3 socket and you will be able to upgrade for a long time.

also don't but a rosewill power supply like the 3rd dude suggested. They are cheap and I had one undervolt and kill a few of my hardwares.

Sockets change with either platform. Intel used socket 775 for many years, and was using it long before AM2 came along.

As to Rosewill PSUs, you really need to do some learning kyle382. Most brands are made by OTHER COMPANIES. These are called OEMs. The specific Rosewill PSU I linked is made by ATNG, a company often associated with quality PSUs.
If you had read my PSU guide, linked in my sig, you would understand that.

Finally, buying PSUs or motherboards based on newegg user reviews is absurd. Buy complicated electronics based on EXPERT reviews from qualified people that use appropriate testing equipment.

There are plenty of PSU brands to hate on :) Deceptive labeling, deliberately confusing model numbers, the list of crimes goes on.
Rosewill has made a good attempt to sell better PSUs in the last year or so and should be encouraged. Apevia, Raidmax, Coolmax, are a few of the many truly bad PSU brands, but even Coolmax sells one good PSU

TRENDING THREADS