Tags:
  • Hard Drives
  • Laptops
  • SATA
  • Storage
Last response: in Storage
August 25, 2012 11:17:22 PM

Hello,
Will adding a SDD hard drive (SATA 3 type) to a new laptop (HP dv7t-7000 quad) with an ivy bridge processor automatically be supported? Or does the laptop motherboard also need to support a SATA 3 interface in order to take full advantage of all of the SDDs bandwidth? Just wondering if all is needed is the correct driver for the SDD.
Thanks
Sean

More about : hard drive interface question

a b D Laptop
a c 265 G Storage
August 26, 2012 2:29:42 AM

It should work just fine, the SATA interface is fully backwards compatible! SSD's are the only drives that actually max out SATA 2 so even if your laptop only has SATA 2 it is going to be faster than a HDD and well worth it.
m
l
August 26, 2012 3:01:59 AM

rolli59 said:
It should work just fine, the SATA interface is fully backwards compatible! SSD's are the only drives that actually max out SATA 2 so even if your laptop only has SATA 2 it is going to be faster than a HDD and well worth it.

yes, thanks. I know that even a SATA 2 supported MB will offer better performance, I guess if I knew the MB chipset, I would know the specs for the SATA interface. I just hope these Laptop manufacturers arent offering SATA 1 supported MBs, which would bottleneck the computer. My fear is you get what you pay for unless you go with Apple Mac Pro or Dell Alienware at a much greater cost.
m
l
a b D Laptop
a c 265 G Storage
August 26, 2012 3:13:22 AM

IB laptop most likely has SATA3 at least SATA 2.
m
l
!