Asus p8p67 pro problems

codnan

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2010
just built with this mobo and instantly had a double post problem even with the latest bios and am now having even more problems

which are when i power on i get a red cpu light for a second and somtimes get a red tpu light even tho it is switched off and i am now getting bsod and random crashes also every 10 min or so its freezing then the screen flashes black and it works again
I did have tpu switched on and that overclocked it too 4.3 ran stress test and it was stable and didnt go much above 60c but have since switched that off as it started crashing
i dont know if this is caused by the motherboard or processor or somthing else (dam it my display drivers have gone mad now)
sorry if this is posted in the wrong section but any help would be great?

codnan

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2010

i also 0nce had a solid red cpu light at start up but removed the cmos battery and it went away

ortoklaz

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2010
what bios are you on ?
switch TPU,EPU to default, remover the power cord from the power supply, wait thirty seconds, press Power On button to clear any remaining charge, clear CMOS for five seconds, reattach the power cord, power on the system, enter UEFI, set to Optimized Defaults, save and exit.

here is a little fix for cold boot,it could help.." enter UEFI BIOS -> go to ‘Advanced’ tab -> go down to ‘APM’, press Enter -> enable the “Power on by PCIe.” function. Then press F10 to save & exit. After save & exit, let the system boot into Windows or other OS, then perform a proper shutdown: Start button -> Shut down. "

it's always good idea to post your specs.

Assuming either a Clear CMOS or battery + unplug doesn't help. BTW - this is the second double post I've seen.

I don't recommend the Utilities based OC like AI Suite II, and recommend you uninstall. Then OC manually which is dirt simple: as 4.3GHz ; CPU Ration -> 43 and 9/10 with no CPU Voltage increase need, Save & Exit - done.

Next, if you're using an after-market CPU fan then make certain there's no metal to MOBO direct contact. The FAN plate should be either plastic or have plastic washers.

ortoklaz

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2010

I've seen a lot more "double posts" than this two, there is no need to uninstall AI Suite II (i only keep it to monitor or update stuff) and as for "battery + unplug doesn't help" this is from Gary Key asus rep.
http://hardforum.com//showthread.php?t=1578865
BTW since when you own P67 platform ?

^What you don't think that I haven't looked myself? I too can Google...

I'm eliminating the variables, and there's a snowball's chance in hell I'd use a 'OC Genie' button or Utility to OC. Furthermore, unless ASUS or Gigabyte magically fixed known issues with their Utilities then don't use/need them. The problem with the Utilities is other manual + utility BIOS changes can conflict and maybe after a few thousand posts more you'll know this.

The typical causes are: corrupt BIOS, faulty CPU, faulty MOBO, faulty PSU, and more times than not a shorted CPU FAN Mounting.

I/We can guess all day long - it's like rolling the dice.

Get the everything to Stock/Defaults, find the problem(s), then start screwing around with the BIOS. If the CMOS is cleared, Defaults Running, other Variables above removed -- there's 'no reason' the CPU light should be ON.

edit: Other possibilities in this case: mis-wired Front Panel, Standoff short ; LESSER degree: bad RAM/poorly seated, bad peripherals {disconnect them all}. In fact it would be a good idea to Breadboard or {Lazyman's Breadboard - remove all MOBO and PCIe screws dangle the MOBO supported by a towel}. E.G. Reduce the variables.

ortoklaz

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2010

First of all Google is your only friend ..I own Pro, have the utility installed can run 32M @5.4 and have no problems
"I/We can guess all day long"..i will leave all the guessing up to you
"unless ASUS or Gigabyte magically fixed known issues" that's bad ..now you include Asus and Gigabyte..i thought you wore advocate for Asus :hello:

codnan

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2010
i have already restored to 3.3 and reset settings also reset bios by removing cmos battery and unplugging i havestopped having the constant freezing problems now as i reinstalled the ati drivers for graphics card i also think this may have been the reason for the bsod as one of them said ATIKMPAG.sys was the problem .
i havent cheked the front pannel connectors i think that might help (probably installed them the one way up )
i am pretty sure the cpu cooler is fitter good
i have owned this board for a week ish but havent used the pc hardly at all in that time only played c&c for a few hours

ortoklaz

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2010
always post your specs when asking for assistance,due to Sandy Bridge architecture any time you run in to problem it's good idea to clear Cmos,good luck

codnan

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2010
re installed the gpu driver and it seems a bit better not hanging or bsod but i havent had much time to check it yet
i have the latest biosand my specs are

i5 2500k
corsair dominator 2x2gb 4gb 999 24 1.5v
asus p8p67 pro
titan fenrir
antec300
xfx xxx650w modular psu
old ish xfx 4850 gpu
samsung f3 500gb

codnan

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2010
sorry not dominator ,vengance was the one i was trying to say (if they must give ram silly names)Corsair CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9 - 2x4gb DDR3, 1600Mhz, 240pin DIMM

BIOS AI OC Tuner -> XMP
if needed errors with Memtest86+ or unstable raise:
DRAM Voltage -> 1.55~1.58v {1.60v max}

Often with high density 4GB sticks the DIMM slots get a little light on power. The Vengeance/RAM needs to be installed in the 'Blue' DIMM Slots.

codnan

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2010
i have powered down clearing the bios\cmos
reinstalled video drivers
fiddled with front pannel pluggs (pretty sure they are right now)
uninstalled ai suit and stopped ati ccc as i dont much like either of there
and am running everything at stock\default in bios
made sure all swithes tpu\epu on motherboard are off

most of the csrashing seems to of gone away and the temporay freezing ,also the double post seems to have stopped (for a minute it seems to have a mind of its own)
but am still getting a red cpu light on while its booting into windows the light turns off just before windows loading screen comes on .
i am a little worried about this as i never had this origenaly and it started happening after the time it crashed and would not boot with red cpu light on

ortoklaz

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2010
disable "Internal PLL Overvoltage" in bios ,see if this will stop double boot
the CPU LED should only flash for split second when you turn on your system,i would contact Asus ,you may have faulty MB

Again, everything CPU as defaults should not render the CPU LED 'ON'; it flashing on for a second won't worry me if it goes off.

If it's staying on then as a simple test: run MSCONFIG & Select Diagnostic Startup, and restart. This is a to rule-out some 'other' BIOS invasive App.

The next thing, again, it the Titan backplate:
Screw => {ribbing outward} Plate | Washer [ MOBO ] Washer | Standoff | Top Plate <= Thumb Nut.
Metal to MOBO contact on the back is not good.

Failure, try the Stock CPU FAN.

Failure, MOBO or CPU is bad.

codnan

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2010
its only staying on till windows starts to load (about 30-50 seconds)
if it was the titan back plate i would ot thought that this problem would of been there straightaway instead of happening after a few days of use and after using tpu to overclock, testing using prime95 for an hour and a half, that it passed,. Then i left the computer while watching a film and when i came back it had crashed and i switched it off and back on came on with solid red light and would not boot (kept on loading for 20 seconds then resetting ) i removed the cmos battery for 10 sec and it worked but the light was still coming on + i am sure i put washers on and secured it properly
i will try the selective startup
and hae contacted asus who gave me a wab adress for a return form (but realy dont want to have to pull everything out the case unless i need too)
thanks for all the help so far

If the washer is installed then it's not the HSF. Unfortunately, it is not then it can takes days or longer for a partial short to exhibit itself.
Back Plate | Washer [ MOBO ] Washer | Standoff | Top Plate <= Thumb Nut.

Assuming Win 7, open the Event Manager and expand the [+] Critical {errors}, as shown below then post them here.

Event_Manager.jpg

codnan

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2010
i think that was when i was testing things and trying a few games 2 out of 3 of them crashed after anything between 1 -10 mins to a grey screen and i had to hold the power button to reset the computer

Then dig into the Event Manger log and post a little more than before.

I assume that you ran Memtest after the XMP setting.

Also, Prime95 is fine for CPU and RAM tests, but it's not good for GPU testing. If your GPU is failing e.g. overheating then the Event Manager should show the GPU drive failing.

Try one of the free trial FutureMark tests - http://www.futuremark.com/ while keeping an eye on the GPU Temps with something like HWMonitor - http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

codnan

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2010
i ran 3dmark vantage the scores were P8531 which seems low
gpu score xfx 4850 512mb ---------7258.07
cpu score i5 2500k 3.3--------------18012.46

it said that the processor was i52500k but was running at 1.6 which seems strange i dont know if thats a normal score
i couldnt keep an eye on gpu temp as i could not run it windowed but when finished the gpu was on 43c