Sign in with
Your question

Confusing temperature readings from GA-880GM-UD2H

Last response: in Motherboards
March 29, 2011 5:51:24 PM

Hello!
I've just built a system with a Gigabyte GA-880GM-UD2H and a Phenom II X6 1090T. I'm trying to establish whether the CPU is running at the right temperature, but I'm having trouble establishing what the best reading to use is. In HWMonitor there are three TMPIN (0, 1, and 2) readings which vary by about 5-10 degrees C, as well as the 6 core temperatures, which are all the same. Under stress testing, at least one of the TMPIN readings gets above 60 degrees pretty quickly.

From reading around, it seems the Thuban chips aren't that good at reporting their temperature, but I can't establish which of the motherboard readings to use instead. Best just to take an average, or use the highest?

Any advice appreciated.
Cheers!
a c 1034 V Motherboard
March 30, 2011 12:13:56 AM

Compare to what you get in BIOS! Do the core readings follow the one that goes up quickly? If so I would say CPU temp if not Chipset temp.
March 30, 2011 1:20:25 PM

Thanks for that. The system and CPU temperatures reported in BIOS match up pretty well with TMPINs 0 and 1 respectively. The core temperatures reported by HWMonitor are significantly lower (20-30 degrees less!) than TMPIN1 but seem to change at about the same time under load.

My best guess at this point is that it's running a bit hot under stress (hitting 70 degrees when stress testing), although the fan doesn't kick into top gear until over 70 degrees.

Thanks.
Related resources
a c 1034 V Motherboard
March 30, 2011 1:33:59 PM

Low 70°'s C under stress test with prime95 is not uncommon so you should be fine. It is a load case you would never see in regular use.
April 4, 2011 9:29:08 AM

Curiously, all six of my cores are now reporting a frosty 0 Celsius in HWMonitor, after precisely no hardware changes. I guess it's OK to go with the motherboard sensor reading? Everything seems to be running fine.
!