TRL: Sad news. And so the cycle begins anew...

http://64.226.59.87/news/2005071801/

Sniff, sniff.

I was wrong. I apologise to those people at whome I scoffed, yes, scoffed!
saying it would be released before Christmas. Now I'm going to go and have a
little cry.

*sigh*
*gentle sobbing*
*sigh*

All this smells suspiciously like what Eidos were doing with AoD (although
that was a more complex issue...I hope).

PS., does anyone else notice how Lara's left shin looks kinda green-bruised
the News Channel? I'm not sure if it's dirt, or someone got a bit carried
away in Photoshop...but yeah. Weirdness!
25 answers Last reply
More about news cycle begins anew
  1. Archived from groups: alt.games.tombraider (More info?)

    "Dragoncarer" <notrightnow@oops.haha> wrote in message
    > http://64.226.59.87/news/2005071801/
    >
    > Sniff, sniff.
    >
    > I was wrong. I apologise to those people at whome I scoffed, yes,
    > scoffed! saying it would be released before Christmas. Now I'm going
    > to go and have a little cry.
    >
    > *sigh*
    > *gentle sobbing*
    > *sigh*
    >
    > All this smells suspiciously like what Eidos were doing with AoD
    > (although that was a more complex issue...I hope).
    >
    > PS., does anyone else notice how Lara's left shin looks kinda
    > green-bruised the News Channel? I'm not sure if it's dirt, or someone
    > got a bit carried away in Photoshop...but yeah. Weirdness!

    She got dirty. Toby said she could!
    McG.
  2. Archived from groups: alt.games.tombraider (More info?)

    "Dragoncarer" <notrightnow@oops.haha> wrote in message
    > http://64.226.59.87/news/2005071801/
    >
    > Sniff, sniff.
    >
    > I was wrong. I apologise to those people at whome I scoffed, yes, scoffed!
    > saying it would be released before Christmas. Now I'm going to go and have
    > a little cry.
    >
    > *sigh*
    > *gentle sobbing*
    > *sigh*
    >
    > All this smells suspiciously like what Eidos were doing with AoD (although
    > that was a more complex issue...I hope).
    >
    > PS., does anyone else notice how Lara's left shin looks kinda
    > green-bruised the News Channel? I'm not sure if it's dirt, or someone got
    > a bit carried away in Photoshop...but yeah. Weirdness!

    All I can say is that EIDOS had better watch out, or they are going to trip
    and land in an ashcan!! Some people are going to lose patience with their
    delays, and find another game series to play! I'm getting tired of being
    played like a bull with a ring through it's nose, being led by the chain
    fastened to the ring.

    Inu-Yasha
    Feh!!
  3. Archived from groups: alt.games.tombraider (More info?)

    "Inu-Yasha" <tjardine@cfl.rr.com> wrote in message
    > "Dragoncarer" <notrightnow@oops.haha> wrote in message
    >> http://64.226.59.87/news/2005071801/
    >>
    >> Sniff, sniff.
    >>
    >> I was wrong. I apologise to those people at whome I scoffed, yes,
    >> scoffed! saying it would be released before Christmas. Now I'm going
    >> to go and have a little cry.
    >>
    >> *sigh*
    >> *gentle sobbing*
    >> *sigh*
    >>
    >> All this smells suspiciously like what Eidos were doing with AoD
    >> (although that was a more complex issue...I hope).
    >>
    >> PS., does anyone else notice how Lara's left shin looks kinda
    >> green-bruised the News Channel? I'm not sure if it's dirt, or
    >> someone got a bit carried away in Photoshop...but yeah. Weirdness!
    >>
    > All I can say is that EIDOS had better watch out, or they are going
    > to trip and land in an ashcan!! Some people are going to lose
    > patience with their delays, and find another game series to play! I'm
    > getting tired of being played like a bull with a ring through
    > it's nose, being led by the chain fastened to the ring.
    >
    > Inu-Yasha
    > Feh!!

    Oh? Like you wouldn't snatch up Legend at the first opportunity!
    Somehow, I can't see you passing up a Lara in Uniform! ;)
    McG.
  4. Archived from groups: alt.games.tombraider (More info?)

    S H I T!
    LOL
    Thanks anyways,
    Dani

    "Dragoncarer" <notrightnow@oops.haha> wrote in message
    > http://64.226.59.87/news/2005071801/
    >
    > Sniff, sniff.
    >
    > I was wrong. I apologise to those people at whome I scoffed, yes, scoffed!
    > saying it would be released before Christmas. Now I'm going to go and have
    > a little cry.
    >
    > *sigh*
    > *gentle sobbing*
    > *sigh*
    >
    > All this smells suspiciously like what Eidos were doing with AoD (although
    > that was a more complex issue...I hope).
    >
    > PS., does anyone else notice how Lara's left shin looks kinda
    > green-bruised the News Channel? I'm not sure if it's dirt, or someone got
    > a bit carried away in Photoshop...but yeah. Weirdness!

  5. Archived from groups: alt.games.tombraider (More info?)

    > "Inu-Yasha" <tjardine@cfl.rr.com> wrote in message
    >> "Dragoncarer" <notrightnow@oops.haha> wrote in message
    >>> http://64.226.59.87/news/2005071801/
    >>>
    >>> Sniff, sniff.
    >>>
    >>> I was wrong. I apologise to those people at whome I scoffed, yes,
    >>> scoffed! saying it would be released before Christmas. Now I'm going
    >>> to go and have a little cry.
    >>>
    >>> *sigh*
    >>> *gentle sobbing*
    >>> *sigh*
    >>>
    >>> All this smells suspiciously like what Eidos were doing with AoD
    >>> (although that was a more complex issue...I hope).
    >>>
    >>> PS., does anyone else notice how Lara's left shin looks kinda
    >>> green-bruised the News Channel? I'm not sure if it's dirt, or
    >>> someone got a bit carried away in Photoshop...but yeah. Weirdness!
    >>>
    >> All I can say is that EIDOS had better watch out, or they are going
    >> to trip and land in an ashcan!! Some people are going to lose
    >> patience with their delays, and find another game series to play! I'm
    >> getting tired of being played like a bull with a ring through
    >> it's nose, being led by the chain fastened to the ring.
    >>
    >> Inu-Yasha
    >> Feh!!
    >
    > Oh? Like you wouldn't snatch up Legend at the first opportunity!
    > Somehow, I can't see you passing up a Lara in Uniform! ;)
    > McG.

    Well I might not pass up Lara without her kit! ^_^

    Inu-Yasha
    Feh!!
  6. Archived from groups: alt.games.tombraider (More info?)

    >> "Inu-Yasha" <tjardine@cfl.rr.com> wrote in message
    >>> "Dragoncarer" <notrightnow@oops.haha> wrote in message

    >>> All I can say is that EIDOS had better watch out, or they are going
    >>> to trip and land in an ashcan!! Some people are going to lose
    >>> patience with their delays, and find another game series to play!
    >>> I'm getting tired of being played like a bull with a ring through
    >>> it's nose, being led by the chain fastened to the ring.
    >>>
    >>> Inu-Yasha
    >>> Feh!!
    >>
    >> Oh? Like you wouldn't snatch up Legend at the first opportunity!
    >> Somehow, I can't see you passing up a Lara in Uniform! ;)
    >> McG.
    >>
    > Well I might not pass up Lara without her kit! ^_^
    >
    > Inu-Yasha
    > Feh!!

    I hope that belt is removable! ;)
  7. Archived from groups: alt.games.tombraider (More info?)

    You know...I wonder if the delay has more to do with the PS3 and not
    the game.

    To wit: The xbox360 is due out around x-mas, and with shipping delay
    and bugaboos, folks won't have it up and running until January likely.
    So even if TRL was ready, no one could play it, it sits lonely on store
    shelves.

    Now comes the vaunted PS3..I assume TRL is going to be available on
    that platform, and wot a "juicy" title to launch right as the shiny new
    PS3 launches Spring06, tying the venerable TR franchise in its new suit
    along with the new PS3 and its jigawatts of power.

    Now...even if my scenario is not true, this delay *better* mean better
    control system for The Divine Ponytail. When AOD came out and I popped
    it on a few years back, my then 5 year old said, "Dad, is this is a
    dancing game? That lady is like dancing into a wall."

    Cinefyl
  8. Archived from groups: alt.games.tombraider (More info?)

    "cinefyl" <cinefyl@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > You know...I wonder if the delay has more to do with the PS3 and not
    > the game.
    >
    > To wit: The xbox360 is due out around x-mas, and with shipping delay
    > and bugaboos, folks won't have it up and running until January likely.
    > So even if TRL was ready, no one could play it, it sits lonely on store
    > shelves.
    >
    > Now comes the vaunted PS3..I assume TRL is going to be available on
    > that platform, and wot a "juicy" title to launch right as the shiny new
    > PS3 launches Spring06, tying the venerable TR franchise in its new suit
    > along with the new PS3 and its jigawatts of power.
    >
    > Now...even if my scenario is not true, this delay *better* mean better
    > control system for The Divine Ponytail. When AOD came out and I popped
    > it on a few years back, my then 5 year old said, "Dad, is this is a
    > dancing game? That lady is like dancing into a wall."
    >
    > Cinefyl

    *laughs*...young children truly are the best critics.

    Meanwhile, I wouldn't be surprised if the 'delayed' release date is geared
    towards a marketing perspective...it would make sense. Although Spring 06
    is a long time to wait....there are, of course, many other games that come
    out as staggered releases for each of the platforms. Considering that TR has
    always been a Sony Pony, you'd think they'd want to have it on PS3
    first...but...I dunno. Or, at least, release it on PS2 for Christmas and
    then stagger the Xbox version, before releasing the Xbox360. AFAIA, however,
    there is no indication that it will be available in PS3 version.
  9. Archived from groups: alt.games.tombraider (More info?)

    > "cinefyl" <cinefyl@gmail.com> wrote in message
    >> You know...I wonder if the delay has more to do with the PS3 and not
    >> the game.
    >>
    >> To wit: The xbox360 is due out around x-mas, and with shipping delay
    >> and bugaboos, folks won't have it up and running until January
    >> likely. So even if TRL was ready, no one could play it, it sits
    >> lonely on store shelves.
    >>
    >> Now comes the vaunted PS3..I assume TRL is going to be available on
    >> that platform, and wot a "juicy" title to launch right as the shiny
    >> new PS3 launches Spring06, tying the venerable TR franchise in its
    >> new suit along with the new PS3 and its jigawatts of power.
    >>
    >> Now...even if my scenario is not true, this delay *better* mean
    >> better control system for The Divine Ponytail. When AOD came out and
    >> I popped it on a few years back, my then 5 year old said, "Dad, is
    >> this is a dancing game? That lady is like dancing into a wall."
    >>
    >> Cinefyl
    >>

    > *laughs*...young children truly are the best critics.
    >
    > Meanwhile, I wouldn't be surprised if the 'delayed' release date is
    > geared towards a marketing perspective...it would make sense. Although
    > Spring 06 is a long time to wait....there are, of course,
    > many other games that come out as staggered releases for each of the
    > platforms. Considering that TR has always been a Sony Pony, you'd
    > think they'd want to have it on PS3 first...but...I dunno. Or, at
    > least, release it on PS2 for Christmas and then stagger the Xbox
    > version, before releasing the Xbox360. AFAIA, however, there is no
    > indication that it will be available in PS3 version.

    ********** P C *********** There IS no console :o\
    McG.
  10. Archived from groups: alt.games.tombraider (More info?)

    McG--

    excellent points about the console vs. PC debate in the game world. I
    do think we may see a day though when the console might achive
    domination (or some device like it) since the entertainment and game
    folks want to make it super easy to hook up and play.

    Some have even suggested that when broadband is everywhere, we all
    might have dumb boxes that can simply receive content online.

    In the end, I think the choice of a console or a PC for gaming comes
    down to comfort level with control system.

    cinefyl
  11. Archived from groups: alt.games.tombraider (More info?)

    > "Dragoncarer" <notrightnow@oops.haha> wrote in message
    >> "cinefyl" <cinefyl@gmail.com> wrote in message
    >>> You know...I wonder if the delay has more to do with the PS3 and not
    >>> the game.
    >>>
    >>> To wit: The xbox360 is due out around x-mas, and with shipping delay
    >>> and bugaboos, folks won't have it up and running until January
    >>> likely. So even if TRL was ready, no one could play it, it sits
    >>> lonely on store shelves.
    >>>
    >>> Now comes the vaunted PS3..I assume TRL is going to be available on
    >>> that platform, and wot a "juicy" title to launch right as the shiny
    >>> new PS3 launches Spring06, tying the venerable TR franchise in its
    >>> new suit along with the new PS3 and its jigawatts of power.
    >>>
    >>> Now...even if my scenario is not true, this delay *better* mean
    >>> better control system for The Divine Ponytail. When AOD came out and
    >>> I popped it on a few years back, my then 5 year old said, "Dad, is
    >>> this is a dancing game? That lady is like dancing into a wall."
    >>>
    >>> Cinefyl
    >>>

    >> *laughs*...young children truly are the best critics.
    >>
    >> Meanwhile, I wouldn't be surprised if the 'delayed' release date is
    >> geared towards a marketing perspective...it would make sense. Although
    >> Spring 06 is a long time to wait....there are, of course,
    >> many other games that come out as staggered releases for each of the
    >> platforms. Considering that TR has always been a Sony Pony, you'd
    >> think they'd want to have it on PS3 first...but...I dunno. Or, at
    >> least, release it on PS2 for Christmas and then stagger the Xbox
    >> version, before releasing the Xbox360. AFAIA, however, there is no
    >> indication that it will be available in PS3 version.
    >
    > ********** P C *********** There IS no console :o\
    > McG.

    Hey, consoles are appropriate for some people, McG. Not everyone can afford
    an equivalent computer (graphics wise) to a console - certainly with the
    specifications of the PS3 and Xbox360!
  12. Archived from groups: alt.games.tombraider (More info?)

    >> "Dragoncarer" <notrightnow@oops.haha> wrote in message
    >>> "cinefyl" <cinefyl@gmail.com> wrote in message

    >>> *laughs*...young children truly are the best critics.
    >>>
    >>> Meanwhile, I wouldn't be surprised if the 'delayed' release date is
    >>> geared towards a marketing perspective...it would make sense.
    >>> Although Spring 06 is a long time to wait....there are, of course,
    >>> many other games that come out as staggered releases for each of the
    >>> platforms. Considering that TR has always been a Sony Pony, you'd
    >>> think they'd want to have it on PS3 first...but...I dunno. Or, at
    >>> least, release it on PS2 for Christmas and then stagger the Xbox
    >>> version, before releasing the Xbox360. AFAIA, however, there is no
    >>> indication that it will be available in PS3 version.
    >>
    >> ********** P C *********** There IS no console :o\
    >> McG.
    >>
    > Hey, consoles are appropriate for some people, McG. Not everyone can
    > afford an equivalent computer (graphics wise) to a console -
    > certainly with the specifications of the PS3 and Xbox360!

    And you are looking at $300 to $400 per for those too, right? IMO,
    developing for consoles begets stagnation in the industry. Someday I
    *might* knuckle under and get a console, but I seriously doubt it. The
    specs for those two brand new consoles will be run over in a year by
    PC's OR even before they make it to the stores! And where the abilities
    of the PC are increasing, the consoles stagnate until three or four
    years (or more) down the line they're replaced by a new gen console.
    I'm sure there are people that don't want the fuss of having to game on
    a PC. The money end of the topic is moot point to me. Only the
    capabilities matter.
    McG.
  13. Archived from groups: alt.games.tombraider (More info?)

    > McG--
    >
    > excellent points about the console vs. PC debate in the game world. I
    > do think we may see a day though when the console might achive
    > domination (or some device like it) since the entertainment and game
    > folks want to make it super easy to hook up and play.
    >
    > Some have even suggested that when broadband is everywhere, we all
    > might have dumb boxes that can simply receive content online.
    >
    > In the end, I think the choice of a console or a PC for gaming comes
    > down to comfort level with control system.
    >
    > cinefyl

    Half-Life 2 via Steam is the closest I ever want to see of that :()
    Perhaps *you all* might have dumb boxes. I won't. I hope there will
    always be some games for the pc. I can't stand the consoles. The
    entertainment and game folks want to make it super easy to hook up, play
    and *control* who pays and who plays.
    McG.
  14. Archived from groups: alt.games.tombraider (More info?)

    > "Dragoncarer" <notrightnow@oops.haha> wrote in message
    >> "McGrandpa" <McGrandpaNOT@NOThotmail.com> wrote in message
    >>> "Dragoncarer" <notrightnow@oops.haha> wrote in message

    >>> ********** P C *********** There IS no console :o\
    >>> McG.
    >>>
    >> Hey, consoles are appropriate for some people, McG. Not everyone can
    >> afford an equivalent computer (graphics wise) to a console -
    >> certainly with the specifications of the PS3 and Xbox360!
    >
    > And you are looking at $300 to $400 per for those too, right? IMO,
    > developing for consoles begets stagnation in the industry. Someday I
    > *might* knuckle under and get a console, but I seriously doubt it. The
    > specs for those two brand new consoles will be run over in a year by PC's
    > OR even before they make it to the stores! And where the abilities of the
    > PC are increasing, the consoles stagnate until three or four years (or
    > more) down the line they're replaced by a new gen console. I'm sure there
    > are people that don't want the fuss of having to game on a PC. The money
    > end of the topic is moot point to me. Only the capabilities matter.
    > McG.

    Yeah, well, that's what I said! Not everyone can afford high-end PC systems,
    and to keep upgrading them every so often. For many, a once-off investment
    in a console that will last for at least 3 years is the best possible
    option. All games that come out during the lifetime of that console will
    work on the console - no problems. And the graphics will only get slightly
    better. If you buy the equivalent priced components for a PC, new and new
    games will only look cruddier and cruddier - you won't get their full
    capabilities.

    Yes, if price is no matter, then there's really no excuse for getting a
    console. Other than many games don't come out on the PC, and as Cinefyl
    said, it comes to a matter of control comfortability.
  15. Archived from groups: alt.games.tombraider (More info?)

    > "cinefyl" <cinefyl@gmail.com> wrote in message
    >> McG--
    >>
    >> excellent points about the console vs. PC debate in the game world. I
    >> do think we may see a day though when the console might achive
    >> domination (or some device like it) since the entertainment and game
    >> folks want to make it super easy to hook up and play.
    >>
    >> Some have even suggested that when broadband is everywhere, we all
    >> might have dumb boxes that can simply receive content online.
    >>
    >> In the end, I think the choice of a console or a PC for gaming comes
    >> down to comfort level with control system.
    >>
    >> cinefyl
    >
    > Half-Life 2 via Steam is the closest I ever want to see of that :()
    > Perhaps *you all* might have dumb boxes. I won't. I hope there will
    > always be some games for the pc. I can't stand the consoles. The
    > entertainment and game folks want to make it super easy to hook up, play
    > and *control* who pays and who plays.
    > McG.

    But there's not difference between that philosophy and PC games. There is
    wider choice for the most part in the PC gaming industry...of course 'The
    entertainment and game folks want to make it super easy to hook up, play and
    *control* who pays and who plays.'. That's the point! Regardless of consoles
    or PCs.

  16. Archived from groups: alt.games.tombraider (More info?)

    "Dragoncarer"
    snipp
    Only the capabilities matter.
    >> McG.
    >>

    > Yeah, well, that's what I said! Not everyone can afford high-end PC
    > systems, and to keep upgrading them every so often. For many, a
    > once-off investment in a console that will last for at least 3 years
    > is the best possible option. All games that come out during the
    > lifetime of that console will work on the console - no problems. And
    > the graphics will only get slightly better. If you buy the equivalent
    > priced components for a PC, new and new games will only look cruddier
    > and cruddier - you won't get their full capabilities.
    >
    > Yes, if price is no matter, then there's really no excuse for getting
    > a console. Other than many games don't come out on the PC, and as
    > Cinefyl said, it comes to a matter of control comfortability.

    Well if the game doesn't come out for the PC, then it just doesn't exist
    :) Like Halo2.
    McG.
  17. Archived from groups: alt.games.tombraider (More info?)

    >> "cinefyl" <cinefyl@gmail.com> wrote in message
    >>> McG--
    >>>
    >>> excellent points about the console vs. PC debate in the game
    >>> world. I do think we may see a day though when the console might
    >>> achive domination (or some device like it) since the entertainment
    >>> and game folks want to make it super easy to hook up and play.
    >>>
    >>> Some have even suggested that when broadband is everywhere, we all
    >>> might have dumb boxes that can simply receive content online.
    >>>
    >>> In the end, I think the choice of a console or a PC for gaming comes
    >>> down to comfort level with control system.
    >>>
    >>> cinefyl
    >>
    >> Half-Life 2 via Steam is the closest I ever want to see of that :()
    >> Perhaps *you all* might have dumb boxes. I won't. I hope there
    >> will always be some games for the pc. I can't stand the consoles.
    >> The entertainment and game folks want to make it super easy to hook
    >> up, play and *control* who pays and who plays.
    >> McG.
    >
    > But there's not difference between that philosophy and PC games.
    > There is wider choice for the most part in the PC gaming
    > industry...of course 'The entertainment and game folks want to make
    > it super easy to hook up, play and *control* who pays and who
    > plays.'. That's the point! Regardless of consoles or PCs.

    Ok ok... I was really tired when I replied to that. In the end, for me,
    the consoles will just never do enough. They will always be just one
    more peripheral device to me. But one that I can do without. I
    personally don't need a stand alone game box. There could come a time
    where I might need one, as I would not be *able* to manage a complete
    computer system. Money wouldn't be the object; what's left me of
    physical and mental abilities by Old Age would be :)
    In the meantime, let's enjoy whatever it is that we DO with our systems.
    Be it PC or console :)
    McG.
  18. Archived from groups: alt.games.tombraider (More info?)

    Dragoncarer wrote:
    >>********** P C *********** There IS no console :o\
    >>McG.
    >>

    > Hey, consoles are appropriate for some people, McG. Not everyone can afford
    > an equivalent computer (graphics wise) to a console - certainly with the
    > specifications of the PS3 and Xbox360!

    equivalent? How much is a computer with nothing in it except of slow
    CPU and sort of fast GPU that can do about 400x300? Oh, and the CD/DVD
    drive!

    (what resolution are xbox games? It claims 1920x1080 resolution but
    it doesn't seem realistic because of memory requirements (frame buffer
    plus high resolution textures) plus TVs can't do that kind of resolution)

    there's no PS3 or Xbox360 so it's kinda hard to compare. By the time
    they are out computers are going to be cheaper...

    erik
  19. Archived from groups: alt.games.tombraider (More info?)

    cinefyl wrote:
    > McG--
    >
    > excellent points about the console vs. PC debate in the game world. I
    > do think we may see a day though when the console might achive
    > domination (or some device like it) since the entertainment and game
    > folks want to make it super easy to hook up and play.
    >
    > Some have even suggested that when broadband is everywhere, we all
    > might have dumb boxes that can simply receive content online.
    >
    > In the end, I think the choice of a console or a PC for gaming comes
    > down to comfort level with control system.

    dumb boxes? consoles are not dumber than PCs (e.g. xbox is
    essentailly a PC), they are just more specialized. If anything with the
    HW prices going down the consoles are going to be more and more like
    computers and once TVs go HDTV and have high enough resolution to read
    text there will be a lot more varied software available for consoles
    (i.e. computers in cases that are acceptable for a living room) -
    there's no reason not to have browser and email clients, tivo style
    recorders and home video editing is coming right after that. And media -
    photos, mp3s etc. And it will go on and on...

    and that's not future - you can ssh into your tivo right now. Or
    install linux on PS. Or even, believe it or not, play games on your
    PC:-) It's all the same.

    erik
  20. Archived from groups: alt.games.tombraider (More info?)

    "Erik Steffl" <steffl@bigfoot.com> wrote in message
    > Dragoncarer wrote:
    >> "McGrandpa" <McGrandpaNOT@NOThotmail.com> wrote in message
    >>> ********** P C *********** There IS no console :o\
    >>> McG.
    >>>

    >> Hey, consoles are appropriate for some people, McG. Not everyone can
    >> afford an equivalent computer (graphics wise) to a console -
    >> certainly with the specifications of the PS3 and Xbox360!
    >
    > equivalent? How much is a computer with nothing in it except of slow
    > CPU and sort of fast GPU that can do about 400x300? Oh, and the CD/DVD
    > drive!
    >
    > (what resolution are xbox games? It claims 1920x1080 resolution but
    > it doesn't seem realistic because of memory requirements (frame buffer
    > plus high resolution textures) plus TVs can't do that kind of
    > resolution)
    > there's no PS3 or Xbox360 so it's kinda hard to compare. By the time
    > they are out computers are going to be cheaper...
    >
    > erik

    And even more powerful than now.
    McG.
  21. Archived from groups: alt.games.tombraider (More info?)

    > cinefyl wrote:
    >> McG--
    >>
    >> excellent points about the console vs. PC debate in the game world. I
    >> do think we may see a day though when the console might achive
    >> domination (or some device like it) since the entertainment and game
    >> folks want to make it super easy to hook up and play.
    >>
    >> Some have even suggested that when broadband is everywhere, we all
    >> might have dumb boxes that can simply receive content online.
    >>
    >> In the end, I think the choice of a console or a PC for gaming comes
    >> down to comfort level with control system.
    >
    > dumb boxes? consoles are not dumber than PCs (e.g. xbox is essentailly a
    > PC), they are just more specialized. If anything with the HW prices going
    > down the consoles are going to be more and more like computers and once
    > TVs go HDTV and have high enough resolution to read text there will be a
    > lot more varied software available for consoles (i.e. computers in cases
    > that are acceptable for a living room) - there's no reason not to have
    > browser and email clients, tivo style recorders and home video editing is
    > coming right after that. And media - photos, mp3s etc. And it will go on
    > and on...
    >
    > and that's not future - you can ssh into your tivo right now. Or install
    > linux on PS. Or even, believe it or not, play games on your PC:-) It's all
    > the same.
    >
    > erik

    Yeah, but TVs capable of equivalent high resolutions (I have a 22 inch
    monitor and play most games at 1600x1200 or 1280x1024 with my 9600XT. That
    will continue will *all* games when I have my 6800GT ;) ) are unbelievably
    expensive. I just bought a huge flatscreen normal tv, standard digital
    set-top box and 5.1 surround sound sys, well several months ago, and i'm not
    about to fork over SEVERAL THOUSAND DOLLARS for a Plasma/ LCD/ HDTV.
    It's all very well to say the 'next gen' consoles will be HDTV equivalent
    resolution/ capable....but that only matters if one has the equivalent
    hardware. I imagine most people don't.
    The amount of money required to have a top-quality 'home theatre' system is
    far too much. A HDTV, a HD set top box, a 5.1 (or, nowadays, 7.1+) sound
    system....you could easily buy at least 4 computers with dual cores, 70GBs
    of ram 4TB hard disk space......(can anyone spot the exagerration?)

    So...to get similar quality as a PC from a console, one needs to invest in
    expensive, large pieces of hardware. In the end, it will work out cheaper to
    buy a top-end PC than a new console, TV, and surround sound system if you
    don't already have one.

    That's my view.
  22. Archived from groups: alt.games.tombraider (More info?)

    Lime Jelly wrote:
    > McGrandpa wrote:
    >> Erik makes a good point in that the consoles really are a specialized
    >> niche PC. To which, that niche is broadening in scope of features.
    >> Browsing, email, movie editing/recording, loading a PC
    >> opsys/applications, versus just playing games. I'd still much rather
    >> have my clunky looking crate full of little bits and wires. The
    >> results on the screen and out the speakers is impressive as hell to
    >> me! :o)
    >> Yeah, it's all good. For us, the consumer, it's become a Win/Win
    >> situation since 20 years ago!
    >> McG.
    >>
    > I can't help myself - maybe it'll become a Win/Linux situation over the
    > next 10 years?

    linux/linux! why stop half-way?

    erik
  23. Archived from groups: alt.games.tombraider (More info?)

    > Lime Jelly wrote:
    >> McGrandpa wrote:
    >>> Erik makes a good point in that the consoles really are a
    >>> specialized niche PC. To which, that niche is broadening in scope
    >>> of features. Browsing, email, movie editing/recording, loading a PC
    >>> opsys/applications, versus just playing games. I'd still much
    >>> rather have my clunky looking crate full of little bits and wires.
    >>> The results on the screen and out the speakers is impressive as
    >>> hell to me! :o)
    >>> Yeah, it's all good. For us, the consumer, it's become a Win/Win
    >>> situation since 20 years ago!
    >>> McG.
    >>>
    >> I can't help myself - maybe it'll become a Win/Linux situation over
    >> the next 10 years?
    >
    > linux/linux! why stop half-way?
    >
    > erik

    Simple, it just isn't all that :) The Gimp is not that bad in its most
    recent incarnation I've seen in Redhat 9 and Mandrake 10, but on a scale
    of 1 to 10 Paint Shop Pro rates a 10 for me and Gimp a 5. If there
    were a native port of PSP9 to Linux, I wouldn't be using OE right now.
    McG.
  24. Archived from groups: alt.games.tombraider (More info?)

    McGrandpa wrote:
    > "Erik Steffl" <steffl@bigfoot.com> wrote:
    >>Lime Jelly wrote:
    >>>I can't help myself - maybe it'll become a Win/Linux situation over
    >>>the next 10 years?
    >>
    >> linux/linux! why stop half-way?
    >
    > Simple, it just isn't all that :) The Gimp is not that bad in its most
    > recent incarnation I've seen in Redhat 9 and Mandrake 10, but on a scale
    > of 1 to 10 Paint Shop Pro rates a 10 for me and Gimp a 5. If there
    > were a native port of PSP9 to Linux, I wouldn't be using OE right now.

    it says in next ten years :-) I agree that as of now it's not a
    complete replacement, lots of apps are windows only with no (good)
    equivalent on linux (or other altrrnative OSs).

    erik
  25. Archived from groups: alt.games.tombraider (More info?)

    >>Tain't no thang, Gramps! How's the geetar?
    >
    > Givin my fingertips blisters! The Yamaha 12 is sweet, but will put on
    > extra lights and lower the action a tad to help with that some. Mostly
    > finger picking. Love the sound of it!

    That's what it's all about, bro!

    >>I work in a big academic dept of computing - that's how I've been
    >>forced to work with Linux. It's getting better all the time, and the
    >>pace is growing. Gimp's good, the Office replacement is mostly
    >>bearable. But I still work under windows, and run cygwin when I need
    >>to develop code for Linux-only peeps. emacs and gcc anyone? I don't
    >>*think* emacs has a tombraider mode...
    >
    > Ah well, me...can't see getting into the 'work' aspect of the puter
    > stuff now. Getting too old and impatient! :)

    I hope to grow out of it too.

    Best

    LJ

Games Video Games