Error Reporting Policy troubleshoot

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment (More info?)

I've used the following policy settings to configure Error reporting:
-Display error notification: disable
-Configure error reporting: disable
-default application reporting settings: do not report any application errors
-report os errors: enable
-Turn off windows error reporting (internet communication settings): disable
after checking the error reporting from the Control panel, I see this:
-disable error reporting is checked
-notify me when errors occur is not checked
-enable error reporting is checked
-windows os is checked and grey
-programs is grayed
Is it just me, or does this not reflect what I put into the policy?
The notification is OFF, Windows OS is ON, but why is enable error reporting
not ON, or am I too paranoid ...
Also can I prevent ANY user from tampering with the ER settings received
from policy through the CPanel ?
I find this item very confusing, hope I'm not the only one ...

On Wed, 9 Mar 2005 01:03:03 -0800, Siggy wrote:

> Is it just me, or does this not reflect what I put into the policy?
> The notification is OFF, Windows OS is ON, but why is enable error reporting
> not ON, or am I too paranoid ...

Looks like it reflects your settings to me. Enable the first item on your
list if you want to see notification ON instead of OFF. If you do that and
keep your other settings, Windows and system errors only will be sent to
OCA (online crash analysis). Application error messages will still appear
locally but should not prompt to be transmitted.

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User