Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Can I use a SSD for my OS and a enternal HHD as my only hard drives.?

Tags:
  • Hard Drives
  • SSD
  • Storage
Last response: in Storage
August 26, 2012 2:47:40 AM

I am building my first pc and am wondering if I am able to run the OS on my 128gb SSD and put everything else on my external HHD. Having no internal HHD, other than the SSD of course.

I have maxed out my funds and won't be able to buy anything else for a few weeks, and was wondering if I can get by without buying a internal HHD. I have everything else all ready to go but don't want to load my brand new copy of Win7 on a pc that will have issues right off the bat. Im giving my mom my old pc so she can farm her nights away, so cant use my old drive.I did some searching but could not find a clear answer. I appreciate your help.

More about : ssd enternal hhd hard drives

Best solution

a c 98 G Storage
August 26, 2012 2:56:38 AM

You can. I would save money for a HDD though. External drives are usually slower, and are more prone to errors because they tend to get knocked around a little.
I wouldn't run this way permanently.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/270102-32-useful-arti...
a b G Storage
August 26, 2012 3:15:29 AM

This will work but as stated by ss202sl it will likley lead to problems. Your SSD is likley large enough to load all of your porgrams on. Then just use the external HDD for data storage. Save for an internal HDD. If you want to install programs to the external HDD be prepaired for it to be slow unless you are using a USB 3.0 controller and a 3.0 Drive. 2.0 will max out at about 25MBps which is about the speed of an HDD from 1997.
m
l
Related resources
a b G Storage
August 26, 2012 3:59:10 AM

Or if it's a large external like a 3.5 inch you can just rip the case off and install it into you desktop.
m
l
August 26, 2012 5:28:51 AM

Thanks for the advice guys. It was very helpful. I guess I could take my external apart as it is a 750gb, but maybe I should just wait till I could buy a new one. Is there any issues with taking apart my external.
m
l
a b G Storage
August 26, 2012 3:16:31 PM

Issues no, but usually it will destroy the external case rendering that useless. So if you do want to keep it as external, don't go prying it open.
m
l
September 2, 2012 7:07:44 PM

Best answer selected by Buckethead760.
m
l
!