Will this Kingston HyperX Blu RAM OC to 1600 @ 1.5v or higher on SB M?

TopGun

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
My 2 main choices so far for RAM for a SB build are CORSAIR Vengeance (but I'm concerned with the height of the RAM not being able to fit under a Scythe SCMG-2100 heatsink) and G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series (but I hate the color...would much prefer blue or black).

I've read a review on overclockersclub about the Kingston HyperX Blu 4GB being able to be overclocked really well.

I'm a little confused as to whether or not you can use 1.65v or not on a SB MOBO. I'm pretty sure I've read that when people are overclocking the Ripjaws and Vengeance they increase the voltage to like 1.6-1.65v. Would I be able to use other kits that were @ 1.65v instead of 1.5v? Would I be able to get the Kingston HyperX Blu 8GB 1333 1.5v kit and OC it the same way? Or could I at least get it to 1600 9cl @ 1.5v?

I'm just trying to figure out my best options for price and performance (and being able to fit/looks).

Thanks,
-TG

Solution
You should be able to use 1.65v RAM on any DDR3 motherboard. Typically lower voltage RAM will clock up better as you can increase the voltage. I would imagine you could get the 8GB kit up to those speeds by increaseing the voltage or loosening the timings.

If you are seeing good reviews for the 4GB kit I would purchase that (get like two sticks)
You should be able to use 1.65v RAM on any DDR3 motherboard. Typically lower voltage RAM will clock up better as you can increase the voltage. I would imagine you could get the 8GB kit up to those speeds by increaseing the voltage or loosening the timings.

If you are seeing good reviews for the 4GB kit I would purchase that (get like two sticks)

Solution
1.5v is the standard. Intel states that the RAM voltage should not exceed 0.5v of the uncore voltage, which I believe 1.65 barely makes it (not sure). 1.5v is more within the Intels spec.

Naturally your mileage may vary on the overclocks, either be higher or lower.

(Toms didnt notify me of a response)