Hello everyone, just looking for some input/advice towards my new gaming rig.
APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: 1-4 Weeks
SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Gaming, web surfing
PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: Newegg
PARTS PREFERENCES: Intel
OVERCLOCKING: Yes SLI OR CROSSFIRE: Maybe
MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1920x1080
Here is what i am looking at right now:
Gfx: Nvidia 480 gtx or Radeon 5870
Board: Asus P7P55d-E
RAM: 4gb Corsair Dominator 1600
HDD: 1tb (How much does the cache matter? i.e. 16mb vs. 32mb vs. 64mb)
or possibly an SSD (How do the 10k rpm drives compare to SSD? Are they excessively loud?)
Case: NZXT Apollo or coolermaster HAF 922
PSU: Corsair CMPSU-750TX
A few questions:
1) Say i end up going SLI with the 480 or 5870, would an overclocked i5-750 bottleneck the system? Would only 4gb of RAM bottleneck it?
2) Is the gtx 480 completely unjustifiable as most seem to believe versus the Radeon 5870?
3) What sort of longevity could i expect out of a system like this? I don't really have the budget to splurge on a i7/ 6gb RAM/ 5970 type system. Would it be better to save and go for that, or is my system as built significantly more cost effective?
1) No, an i5 750 overclocked past say 3.4 GHz should be fine, and 4 GB of RAM wouldn't be a bottleneck for gaming.
2) No, it's faster than the HD 5870 by 20% sometimes, but it consumes an incredible amount of power, and it can run very hot if you have poor airflow. It's also loud as well, but gamers don't really care about noise as long as they can hear their guns. (With GTX 480 in SLI, I saw one YouTube video where it managed to get to 76dB, although it was probably at 100% fan speed.
3) It's a decent system and should last you a while, with CrossFireX/SLI capabilities as well as SATA III and USB 3.0. It's more cost effective, this build, but not significantly, as X58 boards have become very cheap nowadays. For your LGA 1156 motherboard, I suggest the ASUS P7P55D-E Pro instead.
4) Not good with monitors/speakers sorry.
5) I just spend like $20 on a wireless mouse & keyboard set and I live with it, it's not bad although that's just me lol.