Sign in with
Your question
Solved

AMD Phenom II X4 955 Running too Hot?

Last response: in CPUs
August 28, 2010 6:03:50 AM

Hi all,

I am running the CPU with the stock cooler. However, I just replaced the default thermal paste with some Arctic Silver 5. I followed the directions on their site, didn't use too much etc.

Using SpeedFan, my core idles between 48 and 50 deg C. From what I have read, this is very hot for an idle temperature. Under load, it gets up to ~56 deg C.

My system is in an NZXT Vulcan case, which provides quite a bit of ventilation. I am also running an EVGA GTX 470, but it is usually 5 deg C cooler than the CPU!

I know stock coolers are not the best, but people using the one I have report much lower temps than I have. Is there a possibility that SpeedFan is wrong? What is going on with my CPU?

Thanks
a b à CPUs
August 28, 2010 6:10:08 AM

It is a bit high for sure. You sure your cpu is making direct contact? Also - you don't want to use 'too little'. People tend to fall into this trap. They literally put a tiny micron of cooling sauce down in hopes of 'little is more' but its not really true. I usually put half a dimes worth and have great temps. Beyond this - I highly doubt the CPU sensing software is outright wrong. Has your comp ever force shut down from temps?
m
l
August 28, 2010 2:51:53 PM

I believe that the cpu is making direct contact. I was surprised at how much force was needed to attach the cooler to the socket, and when I replaced the thermal paste, it was clear that there was contact.

I do not believe that I used too little paste, I followed the directions on the Arctic Silver site. Switching pastes has actually dropped my temperature by a degree or two.

My computer has never force shut down from the temps. As far as I can tell, there seem to be no problems stemming from the hot CPU.
m
l
Related resources
a c 203 à CPUs
August 28, 2010 3:06:57 PM

GamerOnABudget said:
Using SpeedFan, my core idles between 48 and 50 deg C. Under load, it gets up to ~56 deg C.
What kind of load?
That low 6C~8C spread makes me suspicious that one of those temps is wrong.

Did you get any utility software with your motherboard to read the BIOS temps?
It might be a good idea to download and run HWMonitor and or Core Temp to see what they are telling you.

m
l
August 28, 2010 4:50:26 PM

WR2 said:
What kind of load?
That low 6C~8C spread makes me suspicious that one of those temps is wrong.

Did you get any utility software with your motherboard to read the BIOS temps?
It might be a good idea to download and run HWMonitor and or Core Temp to see what they are telling you.

I did some more specific testing. At idle, the CPU was 48-50deg C. I then ran Prime95 in the "In place Large FFTs" mode, and the temperature was 61-62deg C.

As a side note, I can manually adjust the speed for all my case fans, and increasing them to full does not lower the temperature, which I found a bit strange.
m
l
a c 203 à CPUs
August 28, 2010 6:22:48 PM

The load temps actually look good, which is the most important thing.
During idle, what is the speed of the CPU fan? Is it throttled wayyyyy back?
Anything like a 'quiet mode' BIOS option selected?
m
l
August 29, 2010 12:15:58 AM

During idle, the fan is at 25% although it will rev up if it gets to 50C. I set it up in bios so that the target temperature was 50C and the minimum fan speed was 25% because before that, the fan was running at high percentages even when idle and was really loud.
m
l
a c 203 à CPUs
August 30, 2010 9:13:13 PM

GamerOnABudget said:
As a side note, I can manually adjust the speed for all my case fans, and increasing them to full does not lower the temperature, which I found a bit strange.
Nothing too strange about that. It just confirms that your case cooling is already adequate even before running the case fans higher.

If you're not happy with your CPU running in the 48~50C range at idle change the BIOS to a different target temp besides 50C/25%. Or let the computer (BIOS) run it's own AUTO temp control program.
m
l
a b à CPUs
August 31, 2010 12:31:54 AM

WR2 said:
Nothing too strange about that. It just confirms that your case cooling is already adequate even before running the case fans higher.

If you're not happy with your CPU running in the 48~50C range at idle change the BIOS to a different target temp besides 50C/25%. Or let the computer (BIOS) run it's own AUTO temp control program.

How the hell does that logic work? Fan speed ALWAYS makes the difference - especially with AMD fans since they are parallel to the CPU itself.
m
l
a c 203 à CPUs
August 31, 2010 1:18:53 AM

AMD fans? Did you mean case fans?
GamerOnABudget said:
When increasing the speed of case fans does not lower temps it's an indication that the original case fan speeds were doing a good job of case ventilation.
m
l
a b à CPUs
August 31, 2010 1:34:53 AM

WR2 said:
AMD fans? Did you mean case fans?
When increasing the speed of case fans does not lower temps it's an indication that the original case fan speeds were doing a good job of case ventilation.

No I mean AMD fans - the CPU heatsink.

Listen - you should be getting lower values unless your ambient temp is very high. Case fans or no, the biggest change to your overall system temp will be ambient.
m
l
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
August 31, 2010 2:00:51 AM

I'm using the stock fan with the paste that came on it, running at 3.2 ghz (955) at ide my temp 34c, play team fortress II around 44c. using AUSU MB M4A89GTD PRO 4 G DDR3, 4850 video card, are your case fan going in the right direction to provide proper air flow, is your case in the open of box in a small space.
m
l
September 2, 2010 12:06:24 AM

My ambient temperature is usually somewhere in the mid 30's C.

My case fans are going the correct direction.

My case is in the open, sitting on top of my desk.
m
l
a c 203 à CPUs
September 2, 2010 12:29:36 AM

GamerOnABudget said:
My ambient temperature is usually somewhere in the mid 30's C.
What are your operating temps like when the ambient temps are around 21C?
m
l
September 5, 2010 4:08:25 PM

WR2 said:
What are your operating temps like when the ambient temps are around 21C?

The temperature outside has cooled off, and my room temperature is now ~21C.

My computer is not running anything intensive, and SpeedFan reads the following:

GPU: 37C
Temp1: 53C
Temp2: -128C
Temp3: 29C
Core: 49C

I don't really know what Temps1-3 mean, especially since 2 is obviously wrong.
m
l
a c 203 à CPUs
September 5, 2010 4:28:58 PM

That Temp2 report of -128C is just indicating there is no actual temp probe there. The -128C is more like an error message.

A 10C drop in ambient (room temps) really didn't alter the CPU core idle temps at all.

What this is telling me is something in your system - probably in the BIOS - is telling your CPU cooler fan NOT to run at optimum cooling speeds. Instead it seems to be weighted more toward quiet operations with a 'trigger' temp of around ~50C.

What kind of load temps did you get at the 21C ambient temps?
m
l
September 5, 2010 10:15:52 PM

I ran Prime95 again, and the temps still hovered at 61C.

As for the BIOS regulating the CPU fan, that is the case. As I mentioned above somewhere, I set the minimum fan speed at 25% and the goal temp at 50C for the sake of a quieter system since the CPU fan was the loudest part of the system and was running almost nonstop.
m
l

Best solution

a c 203 à CPUs
September 5, 2010 10:24:01 PM

Prime95 @ 61C is a good result.
The higher idle temps are the result of your changes in BIOS to get a quiet system.
September 9, 2010 7:13:28 PM

i have the same problem here....addition of that, i get freezes and spikes while installing programs, games.. exploring websites...

any ideas?
m
l
September 9, 2010 7:55:56 PM

Gameronabudget: WR2 is right, more idle cooling requires more fan power at lower target temperatures.

Blackhamachi: Run a temperature program in safe mode with nothing else running, or check the CPU temp in the bios to see if you`re spiking high temps because of an electrical problem (voltage or otherwise) or whether it is weak cooling/bad heatsink contact.
m
l
September 9, 2010 8:03:48 PM

tu_illegalamigo said:
Gameronabudget: WR2 is right, more idle cooling requires more fan power at lower target temperatures.

Blackhamachi: Run a temperature program in safe mode with nothing else running, or check the CPU temp in the bios to see if you`re spiking high temps because of an electrical problem (voltage or otherwise) or whether it is weak cooling/bad heatsink contact.

-i did what you said and i got 40c-49c in bios...
-fan speed is sooo loud its now ~5500rpm right now....in games it goes to 7000rpm 81c :S...so crazy!...i got open cased on top of the table...thermal pasted in and every thing is clean and new hardware...(5 days ago got the mobo and the cpu)....
m
l
September 10, 2010 12:35:00 PM

ok...fixed the problem with new thermal paste and adjust the voltage of vcore and rams > 1.325/1.800

m
l
September 12, 2010 2:42:35 PM

Best answer selected by GamerOnABudget.
m
l
!