Fame dip

midhun

Distinguished
May 22, 2010
Guys I'm running an powercolor radeon 4850 512mb on a phenom 2.3ghz cpu...my prob is,i'm getting framerate dips when i go around the city....i play the game at high setting at 1152x864...i reduced the reslution upto 800x600..but still no improvement...any suggestions

Yes as ridiculous as it sounds some games will benefit from you increasing the GPU settings AA/AF etc.
If you are being held back a bit by the CPU then giving the GPU more to do can in some cases help the CPU to cope. This works very basically because the CPU needs to feed data to the GPU before it can render a frame.
If the GPU can do this faster than the CPU can keep up then you get lagging etc while the card is waiting. Giving the card more to do takes it that fraction longer and in some cases this is all the CPU needs to help it keep up.
Of course you could always just check and see if you have V-Sync enabled, if not then doing so could help.

Mactronix

midhun

Distinguished
May 22, 2010
actually all d game ran fine when i first bought my card.........i overclocked my gpu a few times..well upto 730mhz...and all this happened....framerate dips in most of d games....my gpu runs at 44 in idle and upto 70 max under load.......i have a i ball sprinter 500w psu........and some of my friends suggested to change the thermal paste to solve d problem....could it help!!!!!!!!!

It could help but i don't see 70 @ full load as being an issue. Most probably just some tweaking with the cooling fan profile will bring that down to a cooler temp.
Have you updated the cards drivers recently ? Some times a set of drivers will give these one off issues with one or two titles as they optimise them for other specific games that are new and all the rage at the time.

Mactronix

Latest posts