External USB hard drive recommendations?

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
a b D Laptop
October 29, 2004 3:10:09 PM

I have an old Acer TravelMate laptop with 20GB, but I want more hard
drive space.

Any recommendations for an external USB hard drive? It should have
80GB, should be fast, quiet, rather small, and need no extra power
supply (rather get the power from USB). Many talk about Maxtor
OneTouch. Is that good?

The hard drive should be under $200, better under $150.

Thanks for any recommendations!
Markus
October 29, 2004 7:03:00 PM

www.apricorn.com -- they have a kit that includes a power supply (most
kits don't), just in case. Can be powered either DC or USB (also a
second cord that fits into mouse port for extra power if needed). Even
a $15 rebate good until Dec '04sometime.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
October 29, 2004 8:45:21 PM

> Any recommendations for an external USB hard drive? It should have

Adapters are around $15. Pick the drive of your choice...
a b D Laptop
October 29, 2004 8:50:16 PM

markus.cl@gmx.de (Markus Dehmann) wrote in

> I have an old Acer TravelMate laptop with 20GB, but I want more hard
> drive space.
>
> Any recommendations for an external USB hard drive? It should have
> 80GB, should be fast, quiet, rather small, and need no extra power
> supply (rather get the power from USB). Many talk about Maxtor
> OneTouch. Is that good?
>
> The hard drive should be under $200, better under $150.

buy any hard drive you like, and just get a USB enclosure for cheeep. most
external drives are not able to power adequately via the USB bus.

BTW, you will find transfers quite slow using standard USB (which is what
your 'old' TravelMate probably has). You really want a USB 2.0 connection;
consider buying a USB2.0 card for your PCMCIA slot and patch the USB 2.0
drive into that.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
October 29, 2004 11:28:55 PM

On Fri, 29 Oct 2004 16:50:16 -0500, Good Man <heyho@letsgo.com> wrote:

> markus.cl@gmx.de (Markus Dehmann) wrote in
>
>> Any recommendations for an external USB hard drive? It should have
>> 80GB, should be fast, quiet, rather small, and need no extra power
>> supply (rather get the power from USB). Many talk about Maxtor
>> OneTouch. Is that good?
>
> buy any hard drive you like, and just get a USB enclosure for cheeep.
> most
> external drives are not able to power adequately via the USB bus.

Okay. Does the RPM of the drive still play a role if I run it over USB? I
mean USB 2.0.

I found many 4300RPM drives, some 5400RPM, and even some 7200RPM notebook
drives.
(I know I don't have to buy a notebook hard drive if I use the enclosure,
but maybe I like 2.5" better than 3.5")

So, is USB such a bottleneck that the speed/RPM of the hard drive is not
important anymore? So, can I buy a cheap and rather slow drive?

Thanks!
Markus
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
October 30, 2004 2:46:27 PM

"Markus Dehmann" <markus.cl@gmx.de> wrote in
news:o psgnniha136e3uh@news.individual.net:

> On Fri, 29 Oct 2004 16:50:16 -0500, Good Man <heyho@letsgo.com> wrote:
>
>> markus.cl@gmx.de (Markus Dehmann) wrote in
>>
>>> Any recommendations for an external USB hard drive? It should have
>>> 80GB, should be fast, quiet, rather small, and need no extra power
>>> supply (rather get the power from USB). Many talk about Maxtor
>>> OneTouch. Is that good?
>>
>> buy any hard drive you like, and just get a USB enclosure for cheeep.
>> most
>> external drives are not able to power adequately via the USB bus.
>
> Okay. Does the RPM of the drive still play a role if I run it over
> USB? I mean USB 2.0.

not any more than with other circumstances, ie: if it was internal.

> I found many 4300RPM drives, some 5400RPM, and even some 7200RPM
> notebook drives.
> (I know I don't have to buy a notebook hard drive if I use the
> enclosure, but maybe I like 2.5" better than 3.5")

it's up to you. but know that notebook drives are more expensive. do
you want this drive to be able to do audio/video editing/capturing? if
so, go 7200 regular disk drive.

> So, is USB such a bottleneck that the speed/RPM of the hard drive is
> not important anymore? So, can I buy a cheap and rather slow drive?

what's the point? why do you want a cheap and rather slow drive? if
thats what you want, get a ZIP drive and swap cartridges. a USB 2 drive
will be as fast (perceptually) as a regular, internal hard drive. you
can get a 40GB 7200 drive, a USB 2.0 enclosure, all for less than $100.

a USB 1 drive is pretty pointless, unless you're copying files less than
a few MB each.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
November 1, 2004 11:46:19 AM

markus.cl@gmx.de (Markus Dehmann) wrote in message news:<c1e48b51.0410291010.18ec488b@posting.google.com>...
> I have an old Acer TravelMate laptop with 20GB, but I want more hard
> drive space.
>
> Any recommendations for an external USB hard drive? It should have
> 80GB, should be fast, quiet, rather small, and need no extra power
> supply (rather get the power from USB). Many talk about Maxtor
> OneTouch. Is that good?
>
> The hard drive should be under $200, better under $150.
>
> Thanks for any recommendations!
> Markus

Everyone is correct! Get a large internal hard drive, and then an
external enclosure. House the internal hard drive into the external
enclosure. That's the cheapest.

All those types of external enclosure is here

http://www.removable-storage-guide.com

As for 7200rpm or 5400rpm, it has something to do with heat and air
circulation.

7200rpm - More heat, faster for all types of files.

5400rpm - Cooler, but only appropriate for small files transfer.

The 3.5 case external enclosure itself offer fan at the rear, but if
you are not transferring large files like video files and games, then
a 5400rpm will do.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
November 1, 2004 10:21:37 PM

Victor Ng wrote:

> Everyone is correct! Get a large internal hard drive, and then an
> external enclosure. House the internal hard drive into the external
> enclosure. That's the cheapest.
>
> All those types of external enclosure is here
>
> http://www.removable-storage-guide.com
>
> As for 7200rpm or 5400rpm, it has something to do with heat and air
> circulation.
>
> 7200rpm - More heat, faster for all types of files.
>
> 5400rpm - Cooler, but only appropriate for small files transfer.
>
> The 3.5 case external enclosure itself offer fan at the rear, but if
> you are not transferring large files like video files and games, then
> a 5400rpm will do.

I have a q-tec laptop drive caddy that plugs into the USB as an extra
drive. The bonus is it's small. The downside is it needs 2 USB ports -
one for data and one for power.
!