Sign in with
Your question

Strange Sporadic Boot Issues

Last response: in Systems
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
June 30, 2010 2:50:46 AM

Hey everyone, I could use some help, if you don't mind. Last year I built my first computer after doing some research on it. It worked pretty well for me, but the Diamond Radeon 4670 felt a bit dated after I bought some games this month. I decided to upgrade to a Diamond Radeon 5770 and upgrade the PSU too. That's where I ran into problems, but first:

Here are my specs:
-AMD Athlon 64 X2 7750 Black Edition
-8GB DDR2-800 RAM (2x 2GB Corsair + 2x 2GB OCZ)
-ATI Diamond Radeon HD 5770
-Gigabyte GA-MA785GM-US2H Rev 1.0 Motherboard
-WD Cavair 180GB EIDE 7200 RPM HDD (system)
-Seagate 500GB SATA HDD (documents)
-Windows Vista 64-Bit / Ubuntu 10
-Eagle Voltas 600w PSU
-SIIG PCIe to Expresscard Adapter

So, I switched out the PSU and Graphics card, booted into Windows, installed drivers and updated catalyst. Everything is working fine, I watched a movie played some Left 4 Dead 2, no problems for 2 days. So I put my computer in sleep and leave for an hour. I come back to resume and my computer crashes and restarts. I boot into windows fine and watch a YouTube video, I put it in sleep again. I come back and it crashes again, but this time it doesn't boot. Not even the bios splash appears, I held the power button to shut it down, no response. Tried the reset switch, no response. Ctrl-Alt-Del, no response. I pulled out the DVI cable and plugged it into the on board video ( which is disbaled). Same results as before ( fans turn on, DVD opens/closes, CPU fan spins, and most important- GFX fan and blower on maximum). In vain I tried again 15 minutes later, to my surprise it booted fine! I switched the DVI cable back onto the new card. Everything was fine, I even played a game for a few minutes.

Now, I turned OFF the computer specifically, since I blamed the Sleep for my problems. I come back several hours later and the same power but no response situation happens. No bios, no windows. So I try pulling the DVI wire back to the on board, but no change. I've searched on Diamond, AMD, and several other sites and the best advice I've had is to breadboard or reassemble my computer. I'll do that tomorrow, but till then, anyone got some ideas?

Thanks in advance!
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
June 30, 2010 3:01:06 AM

Well well, guess what! My computer has booted successfully again! Within minutes of my previous post! Anyone have any ideas on what to do? I'm thinking of either a short somewhere or that there is some sort of conflict?

Anyways, got any ideas?
a c 113 B Homebuilt system
June 30, 2010 3:01:07 AM

Two things.

First, your PSU is junk. This can cause the issues you mention. Please see the PSU guide linked in my sig.

Second, it's pretty much impossible to mix RAM like that. Your CPU can't control two different types at once. It will try, sure, by trying to find a lowest common denominator (so to speak) but won't normally be very successful.

Why did your comp boot fine after 15 minutes? I think it likely that the PSU had time to cool down far enough that it was able to produce almost-good voltages for a short amount of time.
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
June 30, 2010 8:17:44 PM

OK, thanks for the advice! I'll look for a better PSU (I read your link) and next time I upgrade my RAM I'll get all the same! Oh, and this post was written from the computer in question, I think your right about the cooling down, since i turned it this morning after a whole night of being off. I'll try running up the temp, shutting it down, and seeing if that is the cause.

Thanks!
!