Can sata 1 run full hd with motion blur effect?

ErikaT

Honorable
Aug 18, 2012
hi all, my wd sata 2 drive was on service, thus i used back my 5 yr ago hdd as pri drive now, i believe it is a sata 1.

but when i play back some hd videos, it dont have the motion blur effect though the video run smoothly and i also feel that the video is somehow not that clear compare to last time with sata 2.

anyone have that experience also?

by the way, is there sata 1, 2 or 3 cables also?

regards

riscguru

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2007
SATA 1 specification speeds were 1.5 Gpbs (theoretically you could get up to 150 MB/sec of bandwidth a little less with packet overhead.) Your hard drive attached to your SATA 1 is the slower component... even at the slowest of transfer rates of SATA 1 drives (around 20-25 MB/sec), your drive should be able to keep up with an HD stream. I find that Windows causes even Standard def video to stutter on my Dell XPS 15x (Core i5/6 GB ram/Hybrid drive) yet my 5 year old iMac plays video without a hitch (even HD video), I've concluded it's a difference in how Windows manages memory (Macs manage memory in a traditional Unix way and yes I'm a Unix biggot.... notice I didn't say Linux biggot.)

Aloha,

Chris