Sign in with
Your question

From phenom to athlon

Last response: in CPUs
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
August 28, 2010 6:46:44 AM

Hello,
I have got myself a pc with a Phenom quad core processor, but am not realy impressed with the performance. ( mainly used for FSX) I wonder if I could put an Athlon dual core cpu in it?

More about : phenom athlon

a b à CPUs
August 28, 2010 6:50:43 AM

FSX is multi-threaded, so it does indeed benefit from an increase in core count. Frequency will also be beneficial. What model is your current CPU? What is wrong with the performance? Can you give us a run down of all the hardware in the rig?
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
August 28, 2010 7:09:20 AM

CPU= AMD Phenom II x4 820
Motherb= Medion PC
Memory= DDR3 8192MB
Graphics= Radeon HD5670
Related resources
a b à CPUs
August 28, 2010 8:26:38 AM

That's a fairly good processor - an Athlon dual would almost certainly be a downgrade for FSX performance. What kind of settings are you trying to run in FSX? It's a fairly demanding game, so I wouldn't expect it to run smoothly on the highest settings on just about any system.
August 28, 2010 8:30:33 AM

.....hey my man that's a Phenom 2... too slow, just Over-Clock it... no need to spend more to slow down...but your video card could do with tweak as well....open up the Catalyst driver and get the tuner to crank it up a bit... that should make an appreciable diff...
August 28, 2010 9:03:13 AM

Phenom 2 to Athlon = downhill..:) 
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
August 28, 2010 10:49:24 AM

Thanks to all of you for advice, will get the latest drivers installed.

Harna, sorry I'm a noob when it comes to overclocking ect.
How do I do that??
August 28, 2010 5:07:25 PM

Surely the GPU is the weak link here? Upgrading to something more powerful like a 5850 or gtx460 will no doubt improve matters, especially if combined with overclocking the CPU.
August 28, 2010 6:11:55 PM

emyyhh said:
Surely the GPU is the weak link here?

Bwaaaahahaha! 5670, you ARE, theweakestlink, Goodbye!

Sorry, couldn't help myself, continue...
a b à CPUs
August 28, 2010 6:26:11 PM

The GPU is in no way a bottleneck; CPU's have long lagged behind GPU capabilities, hence why so many people overclock their CPU's.

I'd say your best bet to improve performance without spending too much would be to overclock your CPU. If you can get a moderate overclock, it should significantly improve performance.
a c 131 à CPUs
August 28, 2010 7:37:25 PM

emyyhh said:
Surely the GPU is the weak link here? Upgrading to something more powerful like a 5850 or gtx460 will no doubt improve matters, especially if combined with overclocking the CPU.

Normally, but this is FSX we're talking about here.

Regardless, a GPU upgrade would also improve performance but spending money on the CPU is the higher priority.
!