Better bang for the money?

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 217926

I would say for $13 yes it is. It has a higher stock clock speed and should be a bit better at overclocking as well. So you are better off if you overclock or not.
Keep in mind if you are on a really tight budget a 955 will overclock to 965 specs on stock cooling very easily.

mresseguie

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2010
I'm curious about this too.

If I understand correctly, both the 955 and the 965 max out at the same level if overclocked. So if you plan to overclock, there's no need to buy the more expensive CPU. For that matter, if you're overclocking, wouldn't the 945 be a better choice? Of course, if you will not overclock, then the 965 makes more sense IMHO. That's what I've been able to gather so far from my reading.

Just my thoughts and not necessarily knowledgeable ones.

Peace.

MrMooky

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2010
I have it down to those two options because I intend to put together a new build soon and those two are in the price range of what I want to spend on a CPU. AMD seems to be the better buy for a budget build.

I do intend to OC a bit, but I don't really intend to mess with the voltage that much until I learn more about it.

mresseguie

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2010

Mooky,

I think either the 955 or the 965 is a winning choice. I have been eyeballing both for a couple weeks now debating hard with myself on whether I need (Okay, WANT) to upgrade my old system now or whether I can wait a few months to see what new CPUs come out. By waiting, I hope to be able to buy a 955 or 965 at an even bigger discount. [I already have a newer i5-750/XFX HD5870/Win7 64 bit as my primary gaming machine, so I'm not in a huge rush to buy a new secondary unit. My old secondary computer is a Q6600/EVGA 8800 GTX/Win XP, which isn't a slouch, but it has its limits.]

Best of luck to you. Enjoy your new computer.

Peace.

MrMooky

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2010

Thanks. Now I just have to get the money together. ;p

Status
Not open for further replies.