Sign in with
Your question

Build Check

Last response: in Systems
June 30, 2010 5:32:37 AM

Hey Guys was wondering if I could get some advice for a gaming comp that I wanted to build. As per the parts listed below, I just wanted to check to make sure that everything is compatible with each other, and maybe some suggestions if a diff manufacture would be better then I have choosen.
Atm I am playing wow, but will be playing diablo 3 when released. I am looking to have a comp that I will not have to replace for hopefully 3 years. I want to be able to play games with max graphic settings on 21" monitor, while keeping the system at a cool temp. I am looking to spend around $1500.00.

Thanks

APEVIA X-JUPITER S-Type X-JUPITERS-MG Metallic Gray Aluminum ATX Full Tower Computer Case

GIGABYTE GA-P55-USB3 LGA 1156 Intel P55 USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

GIGABYTE GV-N480D5-15I-B GeForce GTX 480 (Fermi) 1536MB 384-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

Athena Power AP-P4ATX95FEP EPS12V Ver. 2.92 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready Active PFC Supports 80 PLUS, Intel Core i7 & Skulltrail ...

Intel Core i7-860 Lynnfield 2.8GHz LGA 1156 95W Quad-Core Processor BX80605I7860

OCZ Gold 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Low Voltage Desktop Memory Model OCZ3G1600LV6GK

Western Digital Caviar Black WD1002FAEX 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

Creative 70SB073A00000 7.1 Channels PCI Interface Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeGamer

More about : build check

June 30, 2010 5:56:07 AM

I would go with the Spinpoint F3 1 TB instead of the WD Caviar Black. Also, are you planning to SLI later on? If so you would need to get a board which supports 8x/8x PCI-E lane configuration, such as the ASUS P7P55D-E Pro.
Related resources
June 30, 2010 6:45:11 AM

Thanks for the reply guys much appreciated.

Hunter: Why the duel channel, as I would like to have 6gb min.

Lmeow: the change in hard drive is preferance or did you know of any
problems with the WD?

With the SLI, I am not sure I think at this point it would be over kill
but it would be good to have the option to upgrade later on.
June 30, 2010 7:12:01 AM

Preference/SATA III offers no real performance boost compared to SATA II with regards to HDDs, the Spinpoint F3 is one of the fastest available.
June 30, 2010 8:23:30 AM

Lmeow said:
Preference/SATA III offers no real performance boost compared to SATA II with regards to HDDs, the Spinpoint F3 is one of the fastest available.

Meh although the SATAIII isn't really useful WD blacks are simply better than f3's as bot drives they have significantly better response times meaning it is much faster at loading apps and booting up(10percent roughly). Considering that your HDD is your bottleneck I would definately shell out the extra 20 for it.

Here are benchmakrs comparing the f3 against the older 1tb black. The newer is obviously faster. In the conclusion you will also see that they reccomend the black for higher end builds due to their speed benefits.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/HDD-6Gbit,2528-8.ht...
June 30, 2010 4:09:28 PM

Why do you want 6GB minimum? Toms does a regular test to see how much memory you actually need, games have consistently not shown a benefit with more than 4GB of RAM. 6GB wont really help you unless you do modeling, video editing, or work with adobe products on a regular basis. I recommend dual channel because installing 3 sticks into a motherboard designed for dual channel will make it run the memory in single channel mode cutting your memory bandwidth in half.
!