Sign in with
Your question

Monitor needs to be turned on constantly

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
May 22, 2010 5:54:55 PM

Alright, so starting a few months ago I've needed to constantly turn my monitor on and off in order for the display to show up. It always happens after I haven't touched it for a couple of hours and every time I do it I have to turn it on and off 6 or 7 times before the display stays on. I have no problems with the display during normal usuage. It doesn't seem to help if I turn off my computer for awhile, then turn it on and leave it for a few hours, it happens every time now. I also feel like it's getting a little worse. I did buy a new graphics card a few months before the problems started but I'm not sure if they are related. I have updated graphics drivers since then. I'm using a XFX GTS 250. Can someone tell me what's going on and how I can solve this problem? Thanks.

More about : monitor turned constantly

a b U Graphics card
May 22, 2010 6:26:23 PM

Your monitor has a obsesive-compulsive disorder, other than that, is going for the next life.
A year ago, my 19' monitor started to shut down itself, and if I turned on again it would work ok. Time passed, and when it turned of itself again, well, it didn't turn on again :p 

If the monitor is new try the warranty.

Edit: Is making any noise when turning on? Like ascendant noise?
m
l
May 22, 2010 9:27:49 PM

No, it's not making any strange noises. Other people I've heard from believe it to be a video card issue, can anyone comfirm the cause? If it were a monitor issue than why would it be fine otherwise? I've had my 19' Samsung LCD for 4 years if that makes a difference.
m
l
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
May 22, 2010 9:48:26 PM

I've had the exact same problem as you, A part in the monitor called the inverter board is starting to break, it is possible to replace this part but often it is more cost efficient to by a new monitor. Also replacing it is a skilled job that really requires a professional, It was going to cost me around £120 to fix, so in the end I bought a new monitor. Research a bit about inverter boards but I'm 99% thats what is sorry man =(
m
l
May 22, 2010 11:31:53 PM

Sounds more like a monitor issue more than a video card issue. My family had the same issue to your issue with the monitor randomly turning off. Eventually the monitor died and we had to get it replaced. My best guess is to plug in a spare monitor into your computer and see if the problem persists. Also another way to confirm that it is a monitor issue is to plug in a laptop to your monitor in question and see if the problem continues.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
May 22, 2010 11:52:23 PM

Golly, mine does the same thing! But then I found out if I just move the mouse a little...........No but seriously, I've got to agree with the crowd here, this is the sign of a monitor on it's way out. It could work for months like it is, or it could quit completely tomorrow.
But, it is a good thing if you can try another monitor just to be sure, or try your monitor on another computer.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
May 23, 2010 1:48:24 AM

dragonfly22588 said:
No, it's not making any strange noises. Other people I've heard from believe it to be a video card issue, can anyone comfirm the cause? If it were a monitor issue than why would it be fine otherwise? I've had my 19' Samsung LCD for 4 years if that makes a difference.

It's not a video card issue, since the monitor powers off entirely. If it was a video card issue, the monitor would still be ON with a no signal, even with nothing on screen, but still ON.

Sorry about your monitor, is time for a replacement :S
m
l
!