I have a Sony vgn cs115j laptop that is constantly just instantly shutting off completely as if you were to pull the plug and battery out. I did some research and found that the fan could possibly be faulty so to check this I installed a sensor monitor software to check the cpu temperature. Right now its idling at 51 celsius. What i'd like to know is if thats too hot. My processor is a stock intel centrino as it came with the unit of course.
No. 51c is ok. Your system may heat up under load and the cpu fan may have stopped turning due to dust build up. I suggest you use a canned air product to clean it at least once a year. They contain solvents that evaporate quickly leaving no residue. But you may also benefit from a laptop cooler. Some come with 2 fans and sit under the laptop. They aren't much; some are only $10-15 or less after rebate.