Unrecognized RAM

Tags:
  • Homebuilt
  • RAM
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
June 30, 2010 2:30:36 PM

Hello All-
My new i7/Windows 7 build is having RAM issues. 4gb shows up in Windows but 6gb shows up in CPU-Z. I have three sticks of Corsair XMS3 DDR3 installed on an ASUS P6T Deluxe V2. The BIOS only shows 4gb and all settings are to AUTO.
Any suggestions?
Thanks,
CD

More about : unrecognized ram

a b B Homebuilt system
June 30, 2010 4:12:52 PM

1) Are you running a 64-bit System? If not, Windows won't recognize anything over 4GB of RAM

2) Do you have them all fully seated and in the correct slots for triple-channel memory?

3) Have your ran MemTest86+ to verify one stick isn't defective for whatever reason?
m
l
June 30, 2010 4:35:14 PM

1) Yes.
2) Yes.
3) No.

I'll get on it.
Thanks.
m
l
Related resources
June 30, 2010 5:14:05 PM

I ran memtest but it hung at 7% in the scan.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
June 30, 2010 5:53:08 PM

Sounds like you might have a defective stick... Why don't you try one stick at a time and see what happens.
m
l
June 30, 2010 7:28:24 PM

I checked out each stick individually and they all checked out fine. I installed all three and the test hung again but when I re-booted Windows, it's all recognized now. Too weird. I re-seated those sticks a couple of times yesterday trying to figure it out. Oh well.
Thanks for your help.
CD
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
June 30, 2010 7:29:42 PM

How many passes of MemTest86+ did you do? Generally the recommendation is to go with 7+ passes. Per stick/configuration.
m
l
June 30, 2010 7:35:07 PM

Forgot to mention that when I re-booted, Windows Memory Diagnostics ran with no errors found.

Not sure about the passes. It looked like 7 or so tests were performed each time and it took about 15 minutes per stick.
m
l
July 1, 2010 1:24:10 AM

Now something really weird is going on. Ever since I got it to read all 6gb, the system has slowed to a crawl. Takes several mouse clicks to close boxes. Seems as if every mouse click takes forever. I've even frozen once. Thinking about taking a stick out and seeing if it runs fine on 4gb.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
July 1, 2010 1:44:36 AM

Still points to a defective RAM stick(s) to me :( 
m
l
July 1, 2010 1:52:07 AM

I'm so stupid. I was working on my kitchen table for my build then moved everything to my office and that's when the trouble started. As it turns out, it was the transmitter for my wireless mouse. It was either too far away or getting interference from being too close to my external hard drive and my wireless router. DOH!
At least it was something simple!
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
July 1, 2010 2:09:56 AM

Yes... Something simple is better than a defective component :) 
m
l
!