BoricuaGabe

Honorable
Aug 26, 2012
I know this has been asked, but they answers don't quite answer my question.

My question is simple. Can i reuse my 2008 Hitachi 500 Gb 7200 RPM with my new gaming computer (if specs are need, look below).

I already plan on reinstalling windows and they are SATA connectors. Would there be any other obstacle to overcome? Also, Can i do the same with my optical drive if they are SATA?

CPU: Intel Core i5-2500K 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor

Motherboard: ASRock H77M Micro ATX LGA1155 Motherboard

Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory

Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 670 2GB Video Card

Case: Cooler Master HAF 912 ATX Mid Tower Case

Power Supply: Corsair 600W ATX12V Power Supply

Solution
You sure can. many times newer drives are faster then older ones(improved design no the age it self).

You should run into no issues doing either.

I just installed windows 8 on a old 120gig(this sucker is slow. like 50megabytes/sec MAX slow) drive to see how it would react and to test some things.

As the drive ages(all drives will fail at one point), be ready to replace it if it start to show signs of failure(good backup of important files is essential even with new drives.).
You sure can. many times newer drives are faster then older ones(improved design no the age it self).

You should run into no issues doing either.

I just installed windows 8 on a old 120gig(this sucker is slow. like 50megabytes/sec MAX slow) drive to see how it would react and to test some things.

As the drive ages(all drives will fail at one point), be ready to replace it if it start to show signs of failure(good backup of important files is essential even with new drives.).

Solution

BoricuaGabe

Honorable
Aug 26, 2012

Thank you :D