Sign in with
Your question

Old Nvidia 9500 working better than newer Radeon 4870...

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
May 22, 2010 8:35:27 PM

Hey guys, I apologize in advance for the long post...

I just registered but have browsed the forums from time to time, they have always been a great help. I am having an issue that i hope someone might be able to help me narrow down to what component might be causing it. I am posting in the graphics forum because that is where i am having the problem while gaming. Going to try to give as much info as a can so here goes...

I have 2 pc's one at work and one at home that are nearly identical. Both i put together fairly recently using AMD am2 5000 cpu's. One of them has a 5 year old(at least) Nvidia 9500gt video card and the other has a newer ATI radeon hd 4870. Now according to the video card comparison site the radeon card is much better, which is should be.

http://www.gpureview.com/show_cards.php?card1=574&card2...

Now, for some reason while playing on the machine with the older 9500 i get consistent 40fps but on the Radeon machine my fps is bouncing all over and usually sits at 23fps. (i am using age of conan as a reference point, both machines set with the graphics options low) Over the last 2 days i re-formated both computers and all that is on them at the moment is a fresh install of windows XP, the video cards driver software(nvidia control panel, ati catalyst), 1 game for testing and 1 benchmark program. I tested both last night and the issue is still there although i am getting a bit higher fps on the radeon machine BUT, now every 10 seconds or so the game will freeze for a split second, really noticable while running.

So, the only thing i did noticed last night before bed is that the radeon machine only has a 380w power supply in it which i started thinking was the problem, but today i ran the antec power supply program
and if i am doing everything correctly, it is saying i only need a 347w supply. I have a spare antec 550w supply im going to try tonight but I thought i'd post this up and see if anyone has some suggestions.

One last thing, i ran 3dmark03 on both machines and the radeon shows results 3x higher, do benchmarks put a good load on the system?

Thanks for your time,

Blake

More about : nvidia 9500 working newer radeon 4870

a b U Graphics card
May 22, 2010 9:34:34 PM

1. Download drive sweeper. Clean out the older drivers in safe mode. Do a clean install of the latest ATI drivers.

2. Run a program and monitor the temperatures with HW-monitor.

3. The 4870 does suck up a lot of power, so make sure your PSU has two PCIe connectors (you need both of them connected for the card to work properly) and enough amps to run it. I doubt a 380watt can handle it, so try your 550watt.
m
l
May 22, 2010 9:42:26 PM

Thanks for the reply Blue,

I forgot to mention i had tried drive sweeper pro and did get the new drivers already, plus the total drive format so i should be good to go there. The temp of the 4870 has been low from what i have read in other posts, like 46C. When i get home from work ill put in that 550w antec and see how it goes.

Blake
m
l
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
May 22, 2010 9:49:58 PM

The total wattage is not as important as the amps that power supply can push on the 12volt rails. That is the real key. I doubt seriously if the the 380 PSU is supplying enough amps to run the 4870 correctly.
m
l
a c 189 U Graphics card
May 23, 2010 5:47:27 AM

Yeah, let's see after you put in Antec PSU in your case... :) 
m
l
!