Sign in with
Your question

Need Help With Getting Started (All Parts Came Today)

Last response: in Systems
June 30, 2010 4:39:38 PM

Hey guys,

I am getting all my parts in today from newegg to build my new computer. This is my first build so I have a few questions on setting up the software. I bought this MOBO GIGABYTE GA-790XTA-UD4 AM3 AMD 790X SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard and I have heard through reviews that you need to update the BIOS right away. I don't really know how to do that. I went to the GIGABYTE website and found the latest BIOS update and downloaded it. What do I do with this software once I start up my computer and enter the BIOS?? I am not really sure how to set this up or install Windows 7 from a freshly built PC.

Any suggestions, advice, answers, or direction to other articles would be very helpful because I want to build this PC today and have Windows 7 64-bit up and running
:bounce:  :bounce:  :bounce: 

More about : started parts today

June 30, 2010 4:44:48 PM

The board's instruction manual will tell you how to update the BIOS. You'll need a flash drive.

I don't think it's actually necessary to need to do this right away. Unless you're using a CPU that isn't supported by the default BIOS (check Gigabyte's webiste, the only possible ones are the X6s), you shouldn't need to do this.

As for Windows, you just get everything running, set the BIOS to boot from the CD, insert the Windows CD and restart. Then just follow the instructions on the screen. That's it. It's not any different from installing a program.
Related resources
June 30, 2010 4:46:49 PM

What are your full specs? Do you have a windows 7 DVD?

Generally they ship out boards with the newest BIOS so you hopefully wont need to update it.

To install windows, after you have assembled everything, when you boot it up, go into BIOS, set your RAM timings and voltage and set your DVD drive to be the first item in the boot order, it will boot off of the windows 7 dvd and go from there.
June 30, 2010 5:02:47 PM

how do I find out if my Windows 7 is OEM or Full version? I got it off the MSDNAA site. Thanks for the help and input.
June 30, 2010 5:20:41 PM

That will be a full version ISO. Do you know how to turn an ISO into an actually DVD?
!