W2k repair problem

Dev

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2001
I'm sitting at school and Win98 crashed bigtime on friday, so I did a format/reinstall. I also run w2k on the same HD in Fat32, but of coursse it won't boot as the boot sector was overwritten. I don't have the CD, but I can get to the files through win98 or dos mode, and was wondering if I could make a repair disk for w2k from win98 so I can get back on the network. The computer tech guys are so busy with XP and other stuff that they won't be here until next week so any help is appreciated.

Dev
P.S. I use win98 for music so that's why I need both OS's

Only users loose drugs!

NickM

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2001
<font color=green>"...so I did a format/reinstall. I also run w2k on the same HD in Fat32, but of coursse it won't boot as the boot sector was overwritten. I don't have the CD, but I can get to the files through win98 or dos mode, and was wondering if I could make a repair disk for w2k from win98 so I can get back on the network..."</font color=green>
Should be fixed by booting from Win2000 CD-ROM. You <b>do need</b> the Win2000 installation CD in order to restore boot into Win2000 after you have formatted the system partition.
After the Setup process starts, choose C (Recovery Console) option.
On the next screen should choose to press M (manual repair) as the option.
Then choose Inspect Boot Sector and Startup Environment.

If you have an Emergency Repair Disk for your Win2000, you can try to create a bootable Win2000 Startup Disk on a working Win2000 machine, by formatting from there a floppy, and then copying the files: Ntldr, Ntdetect.com, Boot.ini, and Ntbootdd.sys onto the floppy. You have to check or edit the boot.ini for your Win2000 boot partition location.

But better, have Win2000 Server CD, nothing more.