Ever since I installed the latest Microsoft Updates for XP (the 12? new
security updates following SP 2) I've had a problem with my system suddenly
rebooting.
I don't know if the two are related but during the updating process I
behaved very impatiently: I had only just turned on Auto-Updating & didn't
pay real attention, so didn't bother to understand it. I kept stopping it,
trying to cancel it & generally buggering about. (Don't ask me why, just a
wally I guess.) Eventually I got them installed. Anyway, I uninstalled each
of these updates but still had the same problem. So now I've reinstalled
them. What all that's worth, I don't know. But now you know.

What seems to happen is that the system seems to come up against an OS
problem or conflict, I think, decides to give up the ghost and reboot. This
most often happens with IE, when I try to go to a new website, whether
following a link or opening a new page. Somtimes immediately after dial-up
to my Home Page. Also, load times have increased hugely & sometimes it just
hangs forever, with the IE progress bar stalled part way, though the
computer still responds outside of IE. It doesn't seem to happen with
Firefox, but I've been getting far more 'Can't find server' messages there,
which I'm suspicious of.

It's not just related to IE however. It also happens when I'm offline;
what seems to happen is, whilst it's doing something I ask of it, whether OS
based or some independant application, I try to interact with the shell/OS
components & it decides it's had enough again, gives up the ghost & reboots.

Beyond those bare facts I can't put my finger on anything more specific,
other than to say that, using X-Setup Pro, I've got the Windows Desktop &
Folder Windows "running in a separate process," if that matters. I have
tried running it without these options, but it doesn't seem to make a
difference, it's just that I think the problem is somewhere in there. And I
suspect that it's easily fixable if I know which settings to tinker with.
But that's just a feeling in my waters.

I need some help to point me in the direction of what to investigate. I
don't know enough to narrow this down -I wouldn't describe myself as a
novice, more like a rank up from that, but being self-taught, there are huge
gaps in my understanding.

I had just done a clean install after updating several hardware components &
the system was working really well.

I'm pretty sure it's not to do with a virus/worm or other nasty; I'm fairly
security minded & run these programs in memory:

Microsoft Antispyware
AVG AntiVirus
Pest Patrol
TrojanHunter
SpywareGuard
SpywareBlaster
ZoneAlarm Security Suite, with AntiVirus

And I regularly run scans of these:

Ad-Aware
Spybot
ewido Security Suite
Ghostbuster
The Cleaner
Stinger
CoolWebShredder
HijackThis

And I recently did a TrendMicro online scan. Of course I realise I could
still be infected, but if I am, have no idea what to do about it beyond the
above.

I'm using XP Pro & have a dial-up connection.

--
TrickTrash

Hi

If you don't see any error messages, right click on My Computer, select
Properties and then the Advanced tab. Click on Settings under Startup and
Recovery and disable 'Automatically restart'. Next time your PC reboots,
you should see a Blue Screen. Could you please post the Stop Code from the
BSOD?

Also, please have a look in the Event Viewer to see if any entries there may
refer to the problem.

--

Will Denny
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

"TrickTrash" <guardclone-news@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
> [...]
> fairly security minded & run these programs in memory:
>
> Microsoft Antispyware
> AVG AntiVirus
> Pest Patrol
> TrojanHunter
> SpywareGuard
> SpywareBlaster
> ZoneAlarm Security Suite, with AntiVirus
>
> And I regularly run scans of these:
>
> Ad-Aware
> Spybot
> ewido Security Suite
> Ghostbuster
> The Cleaner
> Stinger
> CoolWebShredder
> HijackThis
>
> And I recently did a TrendMicro online scan. Of course I realise I could
> still be infected, but if I am, have no idea what to do about it beyond
> the above.
>
> I'm using XP Pro & have a dial-up connection.

Will

I'd forgotten I'd read somewhere to turn off Automatic Restart & had already
done it, without getting any BSOD, which I've never seen in XP. I also
hadn't been checking memory dumps; now that you've pointed it out to me I've
checked & don't have any.

I'd been checking the Event Viewer, but couldn't initially link any of the
messages to my problem, so had discounted this, which may have been a
mistake.

I keep seeing 2 types of error message here-

Under Application : PerfNet Event ID 2002 Can't open Redirector service &
PerfNet Event ID 2004 Can't open Server service. Neither seemed to apply to
me as they seem to refer to Workstations & servers & I'm a lone Desktop.

Under System:
Event Type: Error
Event Source: DCOM
Event Category: None
Event ID: 10005
User: NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM
DCOM got error "The service cannot be started, either because it is disabled
or because it has no enabled devices associated with it. " attempting to
start the service IISADMIN with arguments "" in order to run the server:
{******************}

Again I thought nothing of this as I've got DCOM Server Process Launcher
running automatically and this error seemed a regular occurence, not always
associated with a reboot. I'd also become blase about the services, having
poured over Black Viper's recommendations & thought I'd got these sussed,
although in truth I don't always understand them.

I should also point out that I remember doing something with the IIS Admin
service after I thought I got them all sorted, I think I was tinkering with
the 'add Windows components' wizard & added the Internet Information
Services snap-in, thinking it would give me some interesting performance
info, only to disable the IIS Admin Service when I failed to understand it.
( Are they related?)

Could any of the above error messages be pointing to the problem? Am I
talking out of my hat?

So far I seem to be going around in not very productive circles. Is there
anything else I should be doing to narrow down the field of suspects?