Sign in with
Your question

Looks like bad news for those wanting to get Bulldozer

Last response: in CPUs
a b à CPUs
August 28, 2010 4:48:03 PM

Here is some news:
http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,2845,2368186,00.a...

Main point "AMD also told us that it will introduce a new AM3+ socket for consumer versions of Bulldozer CPUs. AM2 and AM3 processors will work in the AM3+ socket, but Bulldozer chips will not work in non-AM3+ motherboards."
a b à CPUs
August 28, 2010 10:23:19 PM

Hmm... this seems weird, IIRC didn't AMD say that Bulldozer will work with current AM3 boards a while back?
m
l
August 28, 2010 10:29:43 PM

And what, AMD users have been spoiled with the whole AM2/2+/3 comaptiblity for several years. IMO its about time that they moved on to a new socket design. I mean they ain't Intel and change sockets every year or 2.
m
l
Related resources
a b à CPUs
August 28, 2010 10:38:34 PM

^ I do hope you were being sarcastic.
m
l
August 28, 2010 10:56:04 PM

not overly..... Intel has went from 775 to 1156 AND 1366 in the last 2 years, And Sandy Bridge is going to be 2011 socket and the mainstream becomes socket 1155.
m
l
August 28, 2010 11:02:10 PM

I believe the high end requires a new socket
m
l
August 28, 2010 11:22:20 PM

do some research http://www.anandtech.com/show/3871/the-sandy-bridge-pre... P and H 67 are 1155. Also further down the article they say and quote "Original Nehalem and Gulftown owners have their own socket replacement to look forward to. In the second half of 2011 Intel will replace LGA-1366 with LGA-2011. LGA-2011 adds support for four DDR3 memory channels and the first 6+ core Sandy Bridge processors." So.... mainstream AND enthusiast are getting a makeover in the coming year.
m
l
a b à CPUs
August 28, 2010 11:28:23 PM

Yes yes yes, a few articles have said this, about 20 have said it will be on AM3, so im waiting till some realy answers from AMD. Until then, stop worrying about it. If you want my opinion, it will start on AM3, but the really high performing/bulldozer we've all been waiting for comes on the AM3+ due to IGP and possible quad channel memory, amongst other things.
m
l
a c 203 à CPUs
August 28, 2010 11:45:46 PM

With Bulldozer having an integrated Northbridge controller built into the CPU die I wonder how they will work around having a Northbridge controller on the AM3 motherboard too.

Worry about it? Not so much, but what do we tell forum visitors thinking an AM3 CPU and MB option now has a Bulldozer upgrade path? I know quite a few have been told something like that the past few months.
m
l
August 28, 2010 11:50:16 PM

Well it isn't great but like alienisgod said, its better than intel sockets changing every year.
m
l
a c 83 à CPUs
August 29, 2010 12:09:28 AM

I want bulldozer, but I'll get a new motherboard with it either way.
m
l
a b à CPUs
August 29, 2010 12:16:23 AM

AlienIsGOD said:
do some research http://www.anandtech.com/show/3871/the-sandy-bridge-pre... P and H 67 are 1155. Also further down the article they say and quote "Original Nehalem and Gulftown owners have their own socket replacement to look forward to. In the second half of 2011 Intel will replace LGA-1366 with LGA-2011. LGA-2011 adds support for four DDR3 memory channels and the first 6+ core Sandy Bridge processors." So.... mainstream AND enthusiast are getting a makeover in the coming year.

Think about it this way: Do you really think Intel can force all those Servers that have been upgraded to LGA1366 to go with a new socket in a few years instead of just swapping CPUs?
m
l
a c 127 à CPUs
August 29, 2010 12:30:17 AM

Tamz_msc said:
Here is some news:
http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,2845,2368186,00.a...

Main point "AMD also told us that it will introduce a new AM3+ socket for consumer versions of Bulldozer CPUs. AM2 and AM3 processors will work in the AM3+ socket, but Bulldozer chips will not work in non-AM3+ motherboards."

So its basically the same as AM3 chips but a bit backwards. AM3 chips will work in non AM3 mobos but AM2/+ wont work in AM3.

Well considering what AMD is planning with Bulldozer (Fusion) adding the GPU to the CPU will change the pin layout greatly. A lot of people didn't think it would but it would have to considering the new voltage requirements that would need to be pumped for the GPU. Add to that any other chipset features that will be added to the CPU itself and they are probably dropping support for DDR2 by removing the DDR2 IMC to lower heat output and power draw since they will be adding a different version of SMT that uses more parts and will add to heat and power draw, it makes sense.

I am not one bit suprised really. It is bound to happen.

AlienIsGOD said:
not overly..... Intel has went from 775 to 1156 AND 1366 in the last 2 years, And Sandy Bridge is going to be 2011 socket and the mainstream becomes socket 1155.

Dude LGA775 lasted longer than AM2/AM2+. Sure you can throw a AM3 CPU into a AM2+ mobo (not a AM2 in most cases though) or a AM2+ into a AM2 but the thing is that it lowers performance due to older bottlenecking tech. Anyone who has a AM2 mobo wanting to throw Bulldozer into it needs to realize that Bulldozers performance increase would be useless in all but AM3 since the tech such as SATA and the HTT links would be way too slow.

Intel had to go from 775 to at least 1156 for support of the on package GPU and some other features. Intel went to LGA1366 for tri-channel DDRe. If AMD decides to go tri-channel DDR2, they will need a new socket as well.

As for LGA1155, not sure. I can understand it from a technology perspective for the CPUs that will have the GPU on the CPU die but for the CPus without the GPU, I would think that it should work with a LGA1156 board. Then again since Intel is pulling more features from the chipset to the CPU, it might cause the pinout to be vastly different.

If there ever comes a time where even the USB, SATA and such are integrated onto the CPU by Intel or AMD, it would probably require a new socket due to pinout and voltage requirements.

AlienIsGOD said:

LGA2011 is targeted, much like LGA1366, towards a much different market. Its going to the super extreme high end for desktops and low end for servers.

Basically for desktops the overkill sector.

Shadow703793 said:
Think about it this way: Do you really think Intel can force all those Servers that have been upgraded to LGA1366 to go with a new socket in a few years instead of just swapping CPUs?

Only for some servers. In most business enviroments they roll with the punches. If they are running lower end servers that use the LGA1366 sockets and the new LGA2011 socket servers perform better they will. In the higher end server market they will have drop in SB CPUs but then again those are much different arenas compared to the extreme end desktop/low end server market.
m
l
!