Trouble Installing 2nd Sata Drive! Help!

obubdeno

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2010
Hey guys I am using a standard WD 500gb HD and recently purchased a 120gb Agility 3 SSD.

Steps Taken:

-Unplugged WD HDD and plugged in SSD and installed W7 os on it. Restarted PC with the HDD and SSD plugged in and choose SSD as Boot-up.

Computer loads fine, and in BIOS both are recognized...but when I start up the information from my WDD is non existent. I don't see my programs/logins/profiles anything. It looks as if the computer is only reading the fresh SSD.

What do i do? Thanks!

obubdeno

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2010
I'm really confused...it won't let me partition my new disk at all... I just want to be able to load the OS off my SSD and everything else look the same on start up with my programs and everything

Raid Z3ro

Honorable
May 28, 2012

You've made a fresh install on your SSD, Windows is fresh so you will also need to install all your drivers and software.

...it won't let me partition my new disk at all...

You will need to partition before you install Windows on it.

...but when I start up the information from my WDD is non existent. I don't see my programs/logins/profiles anything. It looks as if the computer is only reading the fresh SSD.

Well, yes and no, the information is there but it is not read as part of your current OS, which is the one you installed on your SSD. You should still be able to access all of the files you have on your old drive though with a file explorer.

You could copy all the Program Files folders of applications you want to use to a new location on your SSD and simply paste a shortcut to the .exe on your new Desktop. (instead of installing them again.)

No guarantees everything will work flawlessly though, I would recommend just reinstalling your apps from scratch.

Raid Z3ro

Honorable
May 28, 2012

You're welcome :)

then, So dragging my files I would like to my SSD won't cause a problem?
All your drivers should be installed on your fresh Windows to prevent issues.

Copying all of your programs "shouldn't" cause any problems, except that they still won't show up in your registry and/or installed programs list. This could become an issue when you want to update the software or something, but I guess in general you will still be able to run everything.

When it comes to your Windows settings like wallpaper, theme settings etc. should should be able to copy them from your old Windows install and move them to the new one (assuming you are using the same windows version.)

And also, How do I choose which Drive I would like to download a new program too?

If you are talking about installing new software, Windows should try to install new software to C:\Program Files by default. So, if in fact, you've booted from your new drive, it will install on the same drive, assuming you haven't tinkered with Windows' settings. However it depends on the installer and it might give you an option to change the installation folder. Otherwise you can change the default folder Windows will install software in (and others) by running "SET" in command prompt.

TRENDING THREADS