Athlon processor comparison

satox

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2010
Hello, Why is the phenom II 830 faster than the 945 when Bestbuy is selling the computer that has the 945 for more ? Is this some devious trick ?

No. It has to do with how old the system is. Systems tend to drop in price the longer they sit on the shelf. The performance difference in real world applications may be little or none, depending on the ram and graphics used. The newer the cpu, the more likely it will sell, so the price tends to be higher. Both are more than adequate for most folks.

I must be missing something. The Phenom II x4 830 is an HP exclusive model with 8mb of cache and a clockspeed of 2.8GHz. The 945 is a Phenom IIx4 with 8mb of cache clocked at 3.0GHz. They are the same generation and the same architecture. One is not older than the other. And the 945 is the faster chip.

http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/K10/AMD-Phenom%20II%20X4%20945%20-%20HDX945FBK4DGI%20(HDX945FBGIBOX).html
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&taskId=120&prodSeriesId=4191679&prodTypeId=12454&objectID=c02170974 (scroll down to phenom IIx4)

By the way, why does your thread title say Athlon?

satox

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2010

oops you know what I meant ... I meant AMD. The corellation between cpu performance and system price is not strong. Like the first responder said prices seem to have a strong relation ship with how long the items have been on the shelves.

For example, at bestbuy the DELL I5-560 systems are fetching higher prices than the DELL AMD 630 Quad systems, by nearly $300+

My use for the computer I'm buying is Office work and making small Magazines. My bottleneck seems to be how fast the printer can process not the computer.

But like I said the phenom II 945 is faster than the phenom II 830, which is why the 945 system costs more.

For example, at bestbuy the DELL I5-560 systems are fetching higher prices than the DELL AMD 630 Quad systems, by nearly $300+

But I think I get your point overall, you've noticed that newer processors, although less/equal or a bit faster than older systems are costing much higher than they should? Kinda to be expected though. Still $300 with all else equal in those two computers is very high.

My use for the computer I'm buying is Office work and making small Magazines. My bottleneck seems to be how fast the printer can process not the computer.
lol guess it's time for a laser printer if you don't already have one :D

satox

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2010

Passmark scores:

AMD PhenomII X4 945.....3593
AMD PhenomII X4 830.....3638 <--- this is faster at least according to passmark

my printer is a minolta bizhub !!

^those scores are not possible on identical systems.
I don't trust passmark to be accurate with those CPUs being so close, considering they get their benchmark scores from multiple system setups from hundreds of people submitting their scores.