Rate my Gaming Computer

itzzjack

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2009
Tell me what you think of this computer. Tell me how much you think it costs, anything negative/positive about it (basically anything that comes to mind). Rate it from 1-10.

CPU: Intel Core i7 920 2.66ghz
CPU COOLER: Corsair H50 Hydro Series Liquid Cooler
Motherboard: Asus P6T SE X-58
RAM: Corsair Dominator 6GB (3x2GB)
Boot Drive SSD: Intel X-25 40GB Gen 2 SSD
Video Card: Ati Radeon XFX 5770 1GB GDDR5
DVD-RW Drive: Asus 24x DVD-RW
PSU: Antec Neo 620 Watt
Case: Cooler Master 690 CM II Advanced

It really depends when you bought it.

I'd give it 7 or 8 as well for several reasons.

As rolli said, an HD 5850 would have balanced it out a lot more, and for a gaming computer, an i5 750 will perform just as well if not better than an i7 920. As for the RAM, I would have bought G.SKILL PI series with CL7 latencies and better heatsinks for less money, and the cooler's not too good with handling i7s, a Meghalems or Thermalright Venomous-X would be a better choice.

I do like the SSD for boot drive, and the case. The PSU could also handle HD 5770 CFX.

In terms of cost, I would roughly guess $1,200 or so in USD?

tecmo34

Administrator
I'm going to rate it a little lower... More to 6 - 7 side...

Couple of reasons:
1) i7 920 and not the newer i7 930. You could just went with an i5 750 and been just as well off

2) No USB 3.0 or SATA 6.0Gb/s... Yes, these aren't a must but close in price I would've went with the Gigabyte X58 UD3R

3) As mentioned above, weak GPU compared to powerful CPU. A 5850 would have been the better choice

4) Over priced RAM... the G.SKILL PI would've been better.

Edit: Let me clarify point 3... Your system is unbalanced. Meaning you either have to powerful of CPU for GPU or to weak of a GPU for your needs.