Sign in with
Your question

Xeon processors and 3dsmax

Last response: in Components
Anonymous
August 28, 2010 6:54:32 PM

HI
I want to buy a server for architectural visualization
is there any body now about that the xeon processors or have them for personal work???
can i have the maximum performance of this processors in 3dsMax???
is the NEHALEM microArchitecture can adapt with 3dsmax and Vray?
my choice is dual INTEL Xeon x5650 @ 2.66 GHz of 5600 series with 6 core With HT(12core)
I really get in trouble plz heeeeeelp

More about : xeon processors 3dsmax

August 28, 2010 7:06:00 PM

ok a few things:

Your post is kinda hard to understand and "plz heeeeelp" doesn't help clarify anything. I'm having trouble understanding:
-what do you mean by "can i have the maximum performance of this processors in 3dsMax??? "?
-what do you mean by "is the NEHALEM microArchitecture can adapt with 3dsmax and Vray? "?

I'm not sure I follow you on those questions. There is no such thing as maximum performance but the CPU you are looking at should work relatively fast for 3dsMax. But this also depends on your environment. For example, if you are in a professional environment where time is a major issue, it is possible that a two x5650 might not be good enough. But generally, they should provide a lot of power.

That said, again depending on your environment, 2 xeon 6-cores could be overkill. So we do need more details on your situation.

As for your second question, I have no idea what you are talking about. The CPU is x86 based just like any other consumer and x86 server CPUs you can get on the market and are compatible with everything that x86 CPUs work with.

I really get in trouble
Why? With what?

Anyway, I hope we can help you out.
August 28, 2010 7:34:09 PM

I think i read somewhere than 3DS Max can process (or make good use of) 16 threads to the max.. Keeping that in mind, two X5650's will give you 12 cores/threads (24 threads including HT).. So, like Enzo has already said, it all depends on your environment.. If you plan to run some other process also parallely and/or have huge rendering calculations to perform, then i guess the setup is pretty useful.. You need to back it up with some good amount of RAM also.. I too did not understand what you actually meant by 'adapt' here but if its what i think it is then the answer is, yes.. The processor and/or the software are totally compatible with each other..
!